Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rocoeh 65 posts 86 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 12:15
    Rocoeh

installing umbracco

Hi,

I have one version of umbraco which is installed directly in wwwroot. I want to install another. Questions

- Can I set up alias for the sites rather than call them locahost:80 and localhost:8080?

- Does my site always have to be in my site always have to be in the wwwroot folder?

- I am trying to set my new site in c:\staging but get an error

The configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration

170:   <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
      171:   <system.web.extensions>
      172:     <scripting>

I have always worked in a LAMP environment (though umbraco looks great)  so sorrry for the stupid questions.

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 12:58
    Grant Thomas

Very, very few questions are silly...

1) For point one, if you're working locally only and want to map meaningful names to hosted sites you could update your hosts file to add name resolution, i.e.:

127.0.0.1       localhost mydomain.com myotherdomain.com

2) For point two, no your website can be in any folder provided it has the correct permissions applied (for instance, IUSR and NetworkService likely need read+/write access).

3) For point three, this could perhaps happen for a couple of reasons; what version of Umbraco are you using? Double check the application pool .NET Framework version is correct for the Umbraco instance:

IIS Manager -> Application Pools -> Double-click Application Pool Name -> Set Framework version

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 12:59
    Mark Bennett

Hi Rocoeh,

Yep you can install multiple versions on the same system. You need to use host headers (bindings) within IIS to map which domain name you want to go to which site (directory). It all should be good though then.

You can also put the site wherever you want you just need to make sure that the IIS process account has the correct priviliges onto the file system. The IIS process normally runs under an application pool account so the user would be IIS APPPOOL/application pool name but this is dependent on how you have your server setup.

The configuration section could be due to the permissions - did the site work before you moved it to c:\staging?

• Rocoeh 65 posts 86 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 14:26
    Rocoeh

Thanks for the replies - I had to add .net version4 to the application pool.  Still working through issues

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft