Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• KO 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 18:38
    KO

Missing Scripting Files listing under Developer option

Hello All,

New to Umbraco and documentation for V5.1 seems limited.  I am trying to follow some of the Tutorials and have discovered that for some reason I do not have a Scripting Files folder under Developer.  Advice?

Thanks for your help & patience.

• Gregg Duncan 48 posts 70 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 16:38
    Gregg Duncan

Hello KO,

I'm afraid I can't help much with your missing Scripting Files issue I've never tried to install V5.1. My best suggestion would be to delete everything and try reinstalling.

However, if you're just getting started with Umbraco I'd recommend you search the forums for "Performance Issues V5". Umbraco has been a very good CMS for the ASP.Net platform. However they made some rather large errors while attempting to make improvements. Primarily they seriously over normalized the database. Then compounded the issue by introducing NHibernate ORM. The combination of these two changes is causing serious performance issues as the system generates multiple large database queries with numerous table joins. There are reports of the smallest backoffice task causing 100+ database accesses. And as few as 5 concurrent backoffice users bringing systems down. Reports are there is some improvements with v5.1 over v5. But it's still a long way from being as responsive a earlier versions of umbraco.

If your site is going to be any size at all, and with more than 1 or 2 backoffice users. I'd give serious consideration to backing up to V4.7.2. If you noticed on the Umbraco site they show v5.1 as stable but the recommended download is still 4.7.2.

I just did a new install myself for a client who wanted the latest and greatest version. I convinced him to stick with v4.7.2 until the problems are worked out of v5.

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 16:46
    Grant Thomas

Umbraco no longer has "Scripting Files" in the developer section of U5, so you're not alone - no one has it! But, you have "Macros" and "Macro Partials". Macros don't change in essence, but you can think of Macro Partials as scripts that your Macros will execute. This similarity (and difference) extends to the "Settings" section, too: you have a "Partials" folder, which is ultimately just a place for your Razor scripts - Macro Partials are the 'same' but with the addedc ability to utilise parameters passed via the controlling macro (and maybe some other subtle differences).

• KO 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 18:36
    KO

Thanks Guys for your help.  I will take a look at v4.7.2 per your advice.  Having spend the last few days getting up to speed on Umbraco it seems as though, if for any other reason, the vast majority of documentation & tutorials are based on pre-V5.1 versions. 

@ Grant - I appreciate the explanation in addition to answering my question.  Based on what I have seen in the video tutorials, I was assuming that Umbraco had depricated this feature in 5.1, like a lot of others, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks again Gentlemen - Happy Coding!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft