Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bear 40 posts 129 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:02
    Bear

Upgrade Step 1 Redirect

Hi,

We're trying to upgrade a site from 4.0.4.2 to 4.7.2. We have followed most of the steps correctly (updating / adding folders, adding custom values to web.config etc, added the App_Data folder and Umbraco folders). We've the install folder to the root too. 

When we visit /install/ it just hangs on step one. The value in umbracoConfigurationStatus is 4.0.4.2. 

What should we be checking? 

• Sean Dooley 288 posts 527 karma points
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:20
    Sean Dooley

Have you tried removing or changing the umbracoConfigurationStatus to 4.7.2?

May 23, 2012 @ 12:37
    Bear

Yes, changing it to 4.7.2 causes an Umbraco 404.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    May 23, 2012 @ 12:52
    Douglas Robar

Did you upgrade from 4.0 to 4.7 directly, or did you use the intermediate versions as well? (especially 4.5)

Personally, I go through every single version just to be on the safe side. My approach is to make a fresh install of the version and use WinMerge to compare the real site with the clean new site. I should be able to explain every difference and it's easy to find/merge changes in config files as well as move in the new binaries and move out the outdated ones. I then launch the upgraded site and run the /install to be sure any database changes have been made.

Yes, I'm pedantic. But I've also never had a site fail after an upgrade.

cheers,
    doug. 

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    May 23, 2012 @ 13:06
    Simon Dingley

Although I'm not as thorough as Doug (I skip some versions) you absolutely do have to upgrade to 4.5.x before moving on to 4.7.x. I generally go for 4.0.x > 4.5.2 > 4.7.x I think. I also second Doug's recommendation to do your upgrade in a seperate directory so you can merge your config files accurately.

Simon

May 23, 2012 @ 17:00
    Bear

Doug, I've followed your advice to upgrade in stages... and took Simons route (rather than all in-between versions) so reverted everything and went 4.0.x > 4.5.2 > 4.7.x and everything is as it should be and I can carry on! Thank you both for your quick replies! B.

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    May 23, 2012 @ 17:39
    Simon Dingley

Glad you got it sorted, the reason for it is because there were major changes in 4.5.2 - I found out the hard way once too but I've done so many now I know roughly what I can get away with in terms of skipping some of the patch upgrades :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft