Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adrian Randall 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 13:55
    Adrian Randall

Source Code Install/Setup/Tutorial

Hey,

I'm new to Umbraco and cant find any decent advice in this area.

I'd like to preferably setup Umbraco from the source code or set it up another way but still allow it to be run through Visual Studio.

I am wanting to use 4.7 source code as there is more support for it at the moment even though 5 is newer

Any suggestions of where to find good tutorials on setting up via source code or any other suggestions? I have all the resources to set Umbraco up just need the know how.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:03
    Craig Cronin

Hi Adrian,

Version 5 seems much nicer for working with visual studio and compiles into debug mode like a normal .net solution.  I have tried various different solutions to developing for version 4.

1. I have tried from the source code but it takes too long to compile and run based on the number of changes you need to make.  This i think is more if you want ot make changes to the core.

2. My latest setup involves having one solution which has the compiled version website in (Build turned off), also a separate project for developing user controls (With a build events for copying the relevant dlls to the umbraco folder)

With this solution you can always attach to process if you want to debug the user controls.

Hope this helps.

• Arman 16 posts 50 karma points
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 11:39
    Arman

HI, I have that issue too...

I need to customize the source code for my own needs, but I am wondered how to install and run the web presentation (UI) ?

It redirects me to the login page when I try to open the Install page... (http://localhost:SomePort/Install)

Can you help me and show me how to install the umbraco?

I do NOT want to install the compiled release, I need to change the sources.

Thank you

Best regards.

• Arman 16 posts 50 karma points
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 13:03
    Arman

I found the way myself!!!

If u want to compile / build the source code, you will need to use the Nant  (  http://nant.sourceforge.net/ ).

Go to the home directory of source code (where the file umbraco,sln exists) and then create a file "nant.bat" , right click on it add select edit,

Copy these lines:

@echo off
    "C:\Program Files\NAnt\bin\NAnt.exe" %

Replace the address to the path that you've unzipped the nant.

runt the nant.batch, after executation, if no problem occurs, you can find the compiled umbraco at "build" folder.

add it to IIS az a virtual directory or run it via the WebMatrix ,etc.

Follow the installation wizard, go have fun :) 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft