Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• steve portock 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 08:28
    steve portock

What version of this actually installs?

I have tried every way possible, I can't get any umbraco to install w/out it throwing some kind of exception at some part  of this process. I have tried each way, web platform, off source, thru visual studio, it bombs at some part no matter what way you go. I have a project that is due using this, can someone please point me to a version that installs and what method to install this that will work w/out a lot of hassle? I had demo'd this in the past and loved it compared to other cms that I have tried, but now a year or so later when I really need it, no dice. Very dissappointing. Can someone steer me straight?  

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 18:01
    Jeroen Breuer

Each version that you can download here works: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/81011. What error do you get? I install Umbraco all the time and it just works. Maybe you don't have enough read/write permissons?

Jeroen

Jun 11, 2012 @ 18:21
    steve portock

Jeroen, 

Thanks, for the response. Maybe this has something to do with this, but I am not sure. I am developing off a mac with a windows vm. I believe folder permissions are right. What would you recommend would be the best way to set this up? The web platform thing bombs on some nhibernate errror, and I can't control where this installs that way. I was hoping to do the visual studio install, or off source, but neither of those worked. I can try all these again and respond back with each way and what happened, unless you have one way that I should follow. I really need to get this running. Thanks again for any help.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 20:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steve

Funny thing is that I have just bought a new macbook this week and is now running the same setup as you.

I think it's suicide if you try to install Umbraco manually at this stage since what you need to do is getting up and running fast and not worrying about the wether or not the right dependencies have been installed or not.

I must admit that I find the installation experience using Web PI is not ideal since I don't know what to do once I've installed Umbraco using it.

Therefore I recommend that you download webmatrix and once again choose to install Umbraco 4 (Which I think is easier for you to start out with unless you have some specific MVC requirements and you're not afraid about the lack of packages for v5) using sql ce (you can always migrate the DB to MSSQL afterwards if you need) and once it's been installed try running the site using from webmatrix. If this works you can always move the Umbraco folder to the prefered place on your disk and setup a real iis site to run your installation.

If something is not working, please post any error message you see during installation.

I hope this helps a bit - please don't hesitate to let us now if you experience further issues.

/Jan

Jun 11, 2012 @ 21:02
    steve portock

Jan, 

I did do that one time, I will do it again, even with sql ce. I am a pretty experienced developer and do find this a bit puzzling and am more suspicious that its my vmware set up that might be, behind all this. I tried some other cms's and ran into similar issues. I will run thru each set up and what happened, since I am the only one complaining its most likely something with my machine.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 23:28
    steve portock

Jan,

I just ran thru a web platform install.

Everything runs fine till I get to the "preview your website" button on step 6 you are done.

Screen shot is attached as to the error, I will google this or search in the forums for it.

Any help is appreciated.

Jun 12, 2012 @ 00:06
    steve portock

Jan,

I did see some stuff on that error about the macros, is that what that is?

Btw, I did try this with firing up web matrix and doing an install off that, that worked, I have it up and running.

I will play around with this a bit more, thanks for your help.

Steve

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 00:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steve

Happy to hear you managed to solve it using webmatrix. I hope that there will be some discussion about the installation experience on #CG12 since I see quite a few posts with people having 1. time installation frustrations, which they really should not have. It should just be easy. However there are many things to take into account and make sure all scenarios are somehow being met.

I hope you have fun with your installation and please don't hesitate to rasie your voice in here if something is troubling you.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft