Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jorge 15 posts 36 karma points
    Jun 16, 2012 @ 20:20
    Jorge

Database connection initialisation failed

Hello

I'm going crazy about this error, I can't get installed Umbraco 4.7.2. I get to step 3 with the error: Database connection initialisation failed. The strange thing is that neither SQL CE 4 or SQL Server works. Boths gave the same error. Tried everthing:

• Permissions to files are correct (the web.config file is changed with the connection string)
    My Setup
    • Windows Web Server 2008 R2 64 bits
    • Sql Server 2012
    • IIS 7.5
    Regards,
    Jorge
  • Peter Prokein 29 posts 105 karma points
    Jun 16, 2012 @ 21:53
    Peter Prokein

Could be any number of things, though it's a somewhat frequent problem.  I know that the Our search sucks, but you can use the following search string in Google to limit the Google results to our.umbraco.org

site:our.umbraco.org Database connection initialisation failed

There are quite a few posts (and solutions) to this issue.  The very first search result has some good advice.

You saying "Tried everything" doesn't really mean much though.  At the most you tried everything you know, but that is not necessarily everything.  It would be helpful if you were to list what it is that you have tried, a lot easier to point out what was missing or what could be the cause of the problem that way.

• Jorge 15 posts 36 karma points
    Jun 17, 2012 @ 09:55
    Jorge

Hello Peter

Thanks for your reply. My problem was the connection string. The name of the instance in my case was not needed.

Wrong: server=SERVERNAME\MSSQLSERVER;database=Umbraco472;user id=admin;password=***** 
    Correct: server=SERVERNAME;database=Umbraco472;user id=admin;password=**** 

It was an awful problem, but it now works ok!

Regards,
    Jorge 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft