Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christopher Mosses 8 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 18:31
    Christopher Mosses

UmbracoDemo.com

For anyone interested in trying out Umbraco without having to install it, we have created a very simple public demo website which lets you login to the administration/backend as well as browse the frontend: www.umbracodemo.com

Instructions on logging in are here: http://www.umbracodemo.com/instructions.aspx

To login go to www.umbracodemo.com/umbraco/ and use

Username: admin

Password: 123

The website is automatically reset every hour on the hour, so feel free to experiment.

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 18:37
    Simon Justesen

Excellent!

Not to be the showstopper here, but I would contact Niels Hartvig (trademark owner) to make sure everything is ok regarding the use of the Umbraco trademark. Since this is beneficial to the community, I don't think it will be a problem - but better safe than sorry, right?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 18:44
    Morten Bock

Hmmm. I tried posting a link on twitter about his, but it rejected the link as a known malware site. Has it been used for something else before?

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 19:53
    Roel Snetselaar

Nice but as Simon already says I'm afraid you can't use any domainname with the registered trademark "Umbraco" in it. Since you are not part of the Umbraco company.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 20:37
    Niels Hartvig

Awesome - great initiative!

But as other folks mentions it's correct that you'll need to change the name as we do not allow usage of the Umbraco name in any product names, domains and likewise to avoid confusion with official initiatives.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 05:22
    Christopher Mosses

Really? So the only Umbraco related domain that is allowed to exist is umbraco.org?

I find that a bit restrictive compared to other OS CMS'es out there. For instance, there are so many flourishing Joomla related websites out there, like

joomlatutorials.com

joomlashack.com

joomlart.com

etc. etc.

that I never imagined it would be a problem. Is it just the domain name that is problematic, or is the content also a problem?

As another poster noted, I think this demo website is beneficial to the community, so to be blunt, can you perhaps consider making an exception in this case? :-)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 07:51
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hi Christopher,

Trademark law says that that the owner of the trademark needs to control and enforce the use of a trademark. Failing to do so could mean that they lose the trademark.
    Even Joomla is currently actively trying to weed out the use of their trademark name. It is possible to license the use of the trademark, but there are restriction (for example, the name that you're using should not actually start with "Joomla" and even parts of the name need to be licensed if possible).

This is an unfortunate situatio for you right now, and course this is not personal. It IS a great initiative and I think we all would love to see this helping the Umbraco product and community. Keep up the great work!

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 08:47
    Roel Snetselaar

@Christopher Just shoot Niels an e-mail, but i'm afraid you have to release the domainname, het can't really make any exceptions...

• anthony hall 222 posts 536 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:07
    anthony hall

naming issues aside. great idea.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:09
    Niels Hartvig

As others have pointed out, Joomla have just been unaware and unprofessional. Twitter are having the same issues as well. We make no (0) exceptions to this matter as our trademark is our only asset and we need to protect it.

But as I said it *is* an awesome initiative you'll just need to let the domain go.

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:09
    Darren Ferguson

Also see: http://autoumbraco.darren-ferguson.com/

Which allows you to create your own instance of Umbraco which runs for 24 hours - no reset after 30 minutes.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:12
    Niels Hartvig

@Darren, do you still need a server sponsor for this project?

• Anders Lund 17 posts 38 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:19
    Anders Lund

The last couples of month i have been working on a similar project in danish. My intensions was to use the domain umbraco-demo.dk, but as Niels quikly told me, it was against the rules :-)

Instead i placed the project on http://www.gratis-cms-demo.dk.

Be aware: It is all in danish, and a lot of you would probably think of it as self-promotion. Which it partly is - but i see it as a promotion for Umbraco as well :-)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hey Anders

I get "Site is under construction" when I visit your site?

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 11:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Ah it is because there is a dot (.) in the end of the link in the post. Everything works fine. Never mind me! ;-)

Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:57
    Anders Lund

hmm...  ooops.... :-)

I seems like i can't correct my mistake about the extra dot in my link? Is there any way that i can correct previous posts?

• Timsn 121 posts 231 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 16:15
    Timsn

Unfortunately there is no way to correct previous posts. But I think there is a update in progress to improve the forum and fix some of the bugs.

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 17:09
    Darren Ferguson

@niels - not right away, we can discuss next week.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 17:46
    Anders Lund

Sounds good with the forum-updates :-)

Aug 03, 2009 @ 04:32
    Christopher Mosses

So... based on previous comments, I should let the umbracodemo.com domain go, but it's OK to use, for instance, umbracodemo.softwareconsult.dk instead? Can I get a ruling? :-)

Aug 03, 2009 @ 10:13
    Niels Hartvig

No, we don't allow any public usage of "Umbraco" (a internationally registered trademark) in product names or non approved marketing activities.

Aug 03, 2009 @ 16:39
    Christopher Mosses

Hartvig:Thanks for your prompt feedback on this, I want to make sure I am playing by the rules.

1) So a software company offering to implement Umbraco websites needs to contact you first and ask for permission to do so? They are not allowed to just make a page on their website offering Umbraco services?

2) http://autoumbraco.darren-ferguson.com/ is an approved marketing activity?

3) What are the criteria that you use to decide whether a marketing activity should be approved or not?

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft