Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 19:56
    Peter Duncanson

Anyone hosting with Fasthosts?

I've got a resellers with Fasthosts and want to use them for hosting my Umbraco sites. Trouble is I can't get the bloody thing working, has anyone had any luck getting Umbraco up and running on Fasthosts at all?

I keep getting an annoying 500 error page (not an Umbraco one) but no error details, have switched off custom errors in web.config but still nothing. Using VistaDB and have tried the .net 3.5 config file everyone suggests off codeplex. Still nothing. Email fasthosts but still awaiting a reply.

Any help greatfully recieved. Failing that who do you suggest for hosting? Is it worth going the dedicated server route?

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 30, 2009 @ 20:33
    Roel Snetselaar

When using shared hosting you need to make sure your host is running IIS in full trust mode. Otherwise you will not be able to properly install Umbraco.

Also by default your app pool needs to run in classic mode when using Windows Server 2008 and IIS7.

Also I would recommend not using VistaDB on a production environment. VistaDB is a lot slower compared to SQL Server Express. This is visible in the frontend and especially in the backoffice.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 00:12
    Paul Blair

Yes, you will need full trust mode. The default app pool for IIS7 is named pipes and some shared hosts don't allow you to change this.

I use softsyshosting.com shared hosting which give you a lot of control. I.e. runs in full trust mode and you can change the app pool as needed.

• Dany Wu 81 posts 114 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 01:22
    Dany Wu

Paul, I noticed softsyshosting uses SQL Server 2008 - did you manage to get Umbraco working with this version?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 08:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

SQL 2008 has not been a problem at all for me.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 08:44
    Roel Snetselaar

I have the same experience as Sebastiaan, no problems running Umbraco on SQL Server 2008. I actually didn't even run Umbraco on something else :)

Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:01
    Peter Duncanson

Thanks for the replies guys, for simplicity I might bite the bullet and go the dedecated server route, at least then I'll have full control and can get this thing up and running asap.

Cheers

Pete

Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:11
    Roel Snetselaar

You could also first try VDS (Virtual Dedicated Hosting), might be cheaper. I use this myself. It's a Virtual Windows Server 2008 package including admin RDP access. Fixed amount of memory and disk space. So it looks like a dedicated server only it's less powerful. Depending on the purpose this might be an option for you which gives you lots of freedom and possibilities.

Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:23
    Peter Duncanson

OK Just ordered a dedecated server from Heart internet, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Pete

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft