Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jakob Danelund 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 14:14
    Jakob Danelund

Umbraco 4.7 on azure

OK. I once was an umbraco developer, but then I switched to php to something called PyroCMS (boo I know, but it has some flexibility advantages, but of course also some drawbacks). Now that I hear that Umbraco has canned v5, I thought it would be a good summerproject for me to get back into umbraco, to get a feel of what's going on.

So being excited about the php cloud features (especially pagodabox.com and herokuapp, that make it really easy to deploy) I wanted to check out what I considered one of the equivalents, Azure and the new portal service.
    So I see that you can install Umbraco v5 on Azure, but I don't see a v 4.7? Is it easy to put umbraco v 4.7 on Azure, if so how?

• RGoodSW 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 18:19
    RGoodSW

I set up Umbraco 4.7.2 on azure this past weekend.  I had previously added the new "Web Sites" preview feature to my azure account.

I tried setting up the site on Azure using the 4.7.2 package via WebMatrix, but that hung while attempting to get through the initial Umbraco setup.  So I deleted the azure site and looked further.

Information in this post was vital:
    http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008/installing-umbraco-to-sql-azure
    Particularly, the note about adding the primary key to umbracoUserLogins.

I set up a local copy of Umbraco 4.7.2 using WebMatrix.  I've got SQL 2008 R2 developer edition rather than SQLExpress.

Initially, my local SQL instance was not configured for SQL Auth, so I was not able to get the "Data-tier Application" piece to work.  I ended up scripting the table creations in Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) and running that script on SQL Azure to set up the tables. (I've since changed the auth setup in my local SQL instance, but haven't gone back to try the "Data-tier Application" feature.

Also, the SSMS generated data script caused problems with the rows for umbracoNode and cmsTemplate, so I had to do some editing.

The table umbracoNode has a foreign key reference to itself so the hierarcy can be represented. The column parentID is a reference back to [id].  The SQL data script that was generated was putting nodes with parentID values in before the parent node was in.  I shifted a few lines in the script to adjust for this.

The table cmsTemplate also has a foreign key reference back to itself.  The column [master] is a reference back to [nodeId].  I had to move 1 row in the script to work around this.

Since this was a relatively simple test that was a learning project and the site is a "may be useful" for a group I sing in, I went through the manual steps.  If/when I deploy for a client, I'd probably look at one of the sync tools I've seen mentioned.

I confirmed the SQL Azure database setup by updating the SQL connection string in the appSettings value "umbracoDbDSN" my local instance to point to the SQL azure database.

It wasn't clear how to connect the local instance in WebMatrix to a new Azure website.  (If anyone else has done this, I'd be interested to know what I missed.)  I set up an empty Azure website, and then I used Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) to move the content up to my azure instance via FTP.  This also gave me an easy way to look at differences as I did further work on the azure site.

I put the local site instance connection string back to the local SQL instance to avoid later confusion.

When I wanted to test adding a package, I did the reverse - created a new local database, inserted the schema by script, and copied the changed files back.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Bob Goodearl

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft