Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kristian Hollund 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 09:40
    Kristian Hollund

How to simply install a custom skin on simple or business kit

Hi all,

I've been working with multiple CMS solutions on Java, PHP and more, but I can't get a grip on how I should apply a skin to Umbraco, eventhough I've read a pretty solid guide (the 27 page guide for web developers). The guide just doesn't cover everything simple enough for me, so I'm thinking it may be my methods of thinking that are different.

I have managed to install simple starter kit, or business starter kit. Applying one of the skins I got in the package doesn't really seem to work. It just says "Skin is being updated" and nothing happens. This would be first step in my problems I guess. But I will try to search for a solution for this first.

Now getting out from that, does anyone have a guide for how I just apply my styles, templates and scripts, or make a package from it? Explained in a way that's more from a web designers point of view? I already have my html, css and scripts, I just need to get them into Umbraco. I will have to modify the umbraco templates a bit, but a start would be just to get my css applied.

• Kristian Hollund 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 11:13
    Kristian Hollund

I get an error message when editing original post, so here's my edit:

Edit: I may be misunderstanding how skins work. I basically want to theme the site. Then I want to modify and add to the templates. Maybe the latter is the only thing skins are for?

• Simon Duff 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 11:24
    Simon Duff

I'm getting the "Skin is being updated" issue too. I downloaded the sources and stepped through, and this is what seems to be happening:

The package installer unpacks to a temporary folder. It iterates through each of the unpacked files and copies them to their correct locations (according to the xml manifest).

I am running in a virtual directory "/UmbracoTest", therefore my admin site is at "/UmbracoTest/umbraco"

The package.xml manifest file contains paths like "/masterpages/FriendlyGhost". What happens during the install, is that it changes this to "/UmbracoTest/umbraco/masterpages/FriendlyGhost" (ie- the admin tool website rather than the front end website).

When it comes to applying the skin, following the install, it looks for the skin files in /UmbracoTest/masterpages/FriendlyGhost, but this folder doesn't exist, as it's been put in /UmbracoTest/umbraco/masterpages/FriendlyGhost instead.

Changing to use a web site rather than a virtual directory seems to solve this problem.

I'll do some more investigation but it looks like there's something broken with virtual directory support and package files.

Simon

Correction: Initially my virtual directory was called umbraco, so it was installing the skins as /umbraco/umbraco. When I changed to /UmbracoTest I assumed it was still installing to /UmbracoTest/umbraco, but this isn't the case. It's a duplication of the virtual directory name, so now it's installing to /UmbracoTest/UmbracoTest.

Further info: The code gets a 'root path' which is the physical application directory (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\UmbracoTest) and also gets the filename to act upon "/masterpages/FriendlyGhost/", but in getting the filename, it checks to see if it starts with the virtual directory name, which if it isn't there, prepends it (/UmbracoTest/masterpages/FriendlyGhost). Once it has these two pieces, it concatenates them (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\UmbracoTest\UmbracoTest\masterpages\FriendlyGhost)

• Simon Duff 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 12:50
    Simon Duff

Perhaps this is related: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

It suggests that you shouldn't type in an application name when using the web platform installer, otherwise it'll install in a subdirectory (as it did for me) which isn't supported.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft