Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• May 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 07:16
    May

Localhost site not showing JS, CSS and Images

Hello,

I've created umbraco 4.7.2 site using web matrix and it's running fine using port number eg. http://localhost:30125

I don't want to run web matrix all the time just to view the site so I've set up a website in IIS and point to the same folder. eg. http://helloumbraco/ then I've updated hosts file with 127.0.0.1 HelloUmbraco

The site shows up but all the styles, scripts and images no longer work. When I browse to one of those file links eg. http://helloumbraco/css/style.css I got the following message.

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://helloumbraco/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/css/style.css'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = "login"] | /root/*/* [@urlName = "login"]')

This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.

Could anyone help me why I'm getting this error and how to make the site display properly please. 

Thanks.
    May

Jul 16, 2012 @ 02:42
    May

Hello,

Already 2 weeks and not a single reply yet? I still couldn't setup a IIS website correctly yet and getting the same error.

I followed this to setup my site: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/tip-vista-win7-iis-and-multi-umbraco-installations but all the styles and scripts or whatever file links are not working and getting 404 error. 

Could anyone help please? I'm on Win7 with IIS7.

Thanks.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 16, 2012 @ 03:45
    Nigel Wilson

Hi there

Can you post a screenshot of your site files, ie from file explorer showing the directories BIN,CSS,UMBRACO,XSLT,etc,etc ? 

Also can you post a screenshot of your hosts file.

Just thought it best to check off the easier stuff first.

Cheers

Nigel

Jul 16, 2012 @ 03:55
    May

Thanks for your reply. Please find attached screenshots.
    I've also added ASPNET, NETWORK SERVICE and IIS_IUSRS full access to folder security.

Jul 16, 2012 @ 04:07
    Nigel Wilson

Cool...

And you definitely have style.css in the css folder ? Shouldn't be case sensitive but also worth checking I guess...

Maybe I am totally off track but trying to help :-)

Nigel

Jul 16, 2012 @ 04:21
    May

Yes, the file, Style.css, exists in the css folder and I tried both casing but still the same. Attached screenshot shows, the same site when view via IIS website and WebMetrix port.

Jul 16, 2012 @ 04:41
    Nigel Wilson

Just another thought...

When viewing the site in IIS you can "browse" it from the right hand side. What happens when you do this ?

Can you add another host header with a port number (eg 85) and try browsing that. What happens then ?

Are you able to post a screenshot of your site within IIS ? 

Cheers

Nigel

Jul 16, 2012 @ 04:50
    May

Yes, I tried it with various ports already but still the same.

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:02
    Nigel Wilson

OK I am pretty much outta ideas...

Have you tried browsing directly to the file, e.g http://razorrecipes/css/style.css ? Did it show ?

Oh, one last thought ? Did you run a completely now install of Umbraco under http://razorrecipes, or did you simply point the site to your existing databaser, created under Maxtrix ? If you simply pointed to the existing database can you try creating a clean install from scratch ?

Cheers

Nigel

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:14
    May

When I browse the file, I'm getting 404.
    It's not a new installation. It's a webmatrix installation site and the new IIS site url pointing to existing db.
    The reason is cos' I don't want to keep running webmatrix if I want to browse the site; I just want to browse using normal site url instead of localhost:portnumber. 
    I also tried copy the whole folder to different location, setup the new IIS site and point to the new location but still with same Db also did not work.
    I've also watched the vid on packaging and reinstall thing... but why do I need to create a new blank site first then install the old site package?
    Why can't I just use the same db with same site files but just change the site name/port? 

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:25
    Nigel Wilson

Hey

It is just a guess but I think it is worth trying... 

Download (or if you have it already) the latest Umbraco version and setup your site.

Create a blank database

Run your site and follow the installation steps to get your site up and running.

I appreciate the above might seem quite a painful process but I think it should solve the problem.

Cheers, Nigel

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:42
    May

Thanks, that definitely works for sure; but that would requires packaging old site and reinstall package in new site which is not exactly what I'm after. 

But since we couldn't figure out the issue I'll just let it pass for now.
    I'm still a newbie and am at a learning stage so I'm not understanding well on umbraco deployment and capibilities yet.
    I'll do more reading and research on this later.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Cheers,
    May

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:46
    Nigel Wilson

Good to hear it fixed things - yes I feel your pain re copying stuff over.

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge will stumble over this thread and be able to enlighten as to why you can't do what you were trying, or at least how to wokr around it. I do not have an Umbraco site available at the moment so can't look into config's or the database.

Best wishes, Nigel

• PromiseConsultancy 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 19, 2012 @ 18:12
    PromiseConsultancy

When installing IIS7 make sure Static Content is checked. Resolved this rather annoying problem for me...

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jul 19, 2012 @ 21:18
    Funka!

Have you tried adding /css/ and /images/ to the umbracoReservedPaths setting in your web.config file? Then, maybe instead of umbraco giving you its (intentionally ugly) 404 page, you might either see the actual file, or at least get a more informative error...

Good luck!

• Trond K. 11 posts 52 karma points
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 12:15
    Trond K.

I had the same problem with static content not being shown (/css, /images etc). Instead i got the Umbraco error page.

After much struggle I figured it out, it was a permission thing. I had only given (Modify) access to Network Service (my ApplicationPool user) - i needed to give Read+Execute access to the IUSR too (to the root folder + subfolders of the website).

Umbraco v6.0.3 on Windows 2008 RC2 

Thanks to PromiseConsultancy for setting me on the right track (the error was only for static content).

• Merlin McKenzie 1 post 22 karma points
    May 06, 2013 @ 23:34
    Merlin McKenzie

Thanks to Trond K - I was having similar permissions issues, didn't think of checking permissions for IUSR, but that was the problem. My directories were located outside of the usual C:\inetpub\wwwroot path - I guess if I'd put them there then I wouldn't have had to think about IUSR access.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft