Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Monty De La Cruz 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 23:05
    Monty De La Cruz

Creating a new Site for Umbraco

Thus far, whenever I try to create a new Umbraco Site, I have a quirky experience.  I've tried this on 2 computers and the experience has been the same.  This has been my work around.  

I'm using Windows7 

How can I determine the version of Umbraco - all I see is Umbraco CMS(9.24 MB)?

I have never been able to select 'SQL Server'  in step 6 instead of SQL Server CE.

1. Setup a Blank Database in SQL Server for your Umbraco site - Make sure to create a Username and Password and make it SQL Server Login

2. For example - create TestSite1 by the sa - (knowing the password)  
    3. Start Webmatrix
    4. Select App Gallery and then Umbraco
    5. Name the site - for example TestSite1
    6. I hate this part - Select the default SQL Server CE - just to avoid the error  - because if you select SQL Server and put in a password, it will error out.
    7. Webmatrix creates your Test1Site in C:\users\mdelacruz\Documents\My Web Sites\TestSite1
    8. Note the Web Browser Window that opens up and select 'Lets get started'  
    9.  Select "I already have a blank SQL Server or MySQL database'
    10.  This time I note that after I select "Microsoft SQL Server" under #3 even though it says 'Connection Details" - there are no text boxes and the only choice is to click install.  If I do this then it will just hang at 5%.
    12. So I did a hard reset - "ctrl+F5"  and lo and behold the textboxes for the connection details appeared.
    13. I fill in "." as the server (which is my local instance),  for Database Name: TestSite1, username: sa,  regular password
    14. I do know how to test, because this worked.
    15. Now create the user for Umbraco admin -  it's my Windows login for DEV-T3500
    16. And now a site has been created.

If there was something incorrect about this procedure or if I missed any prerequistes, please kindly point out what I am missing.  I am trying to create documentation for this for our group and thus far I haven't seen anything that is consistent without workarounds such as what I do in steps 6 and 12.

Thank you

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft