Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Gibson 4 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 03, 2009 @ 14:39
    Paul Gibson

Uploading files to host

Hi.

I am a recent convert to Umbraco.  I have built a site using v4.0.2.1 locally and things are going well.  I have now installed umbraco on my host providers server.  Essentially a blank db. What is the process of now getting all my files and data from my local machine to the host server and host db?I don't know which files to copy or how I get my database migrated?

Cheers

Paul

@audacius

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 03, 2009 @ 14:57
    Douglas Robar

The general approach is to zip all the files in your website and backup the database. Then upload the site zip file and database .bak (or .zip to save bandwidth) to the host. Unzip the iis files (and database zip file if you zipped it). Restore the database to the host's server.

Depending on the hosting provider you may be able to restore the database through their admin interface, or you might need to contact the host to restore the database for you.

Once the database is restored and running on the host, change the web.config entry for the database connection to use your new database on the hosted server.

That's it, your site should be live.

I would recommend you republish the entire site once it's running. Alternatively, delete the /data/umbraco.config file, which will force umbraco to republish the content.

cheers,
    doug.

• Paul Gibson 4 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 04, 2009 @ 09:49
    Paul Gibson

Thanks Doug

It's all good now.  I had the host provider tweak my options on running the restore but your guidance really helped.  My host were also offering to help install umbraco v3.0.5 so I had a few updates for them :)

We are a bit behind downunder - at least I am.

Regards

Paul

Canberra, Australia

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft