Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Levi Jackson 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 20, 2012 @ 20:27
    Levi Jackson

Moving from development to production on a different server SQL CE

I'm having some trouble moving from development to production. I did a straight copy of the files, updated permission so the application has read/write capabiltiies. The main issue right now is that I am being presented with the following error:

Error running Reader: 
    SQL Statement:
    select id, domainName from umbracoDomains

I used SQL CE in the hopes that it would all be self contained and easy to move. I've done a lot of reading on these forums and I have not found out an answer that works for me yet. I am relatively new to Umbraco and completely new to SQL CE, so is there something simple I may have overlooked?

To me it seems like the application does not have permission to read from the database, is there a way to confirm/disprove whether that is the issue?

Other notes:
    - I can get to the Umbraco login page, but the login info I have from development does not work.

Thanks for any help,
    Levi

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jul 20, 2012 @ 22:00
    Daniel Bardi

Did you move the database over as well?  Also, when moving to production, do not copy client depenancy files.

Jul 20, 2012 @ 22:09
    Levi Jackson

I did move the Umbraco.sdf file over as well and updated permissions on it - is that all I would need to do to move the database over? Forgive my beginner-ness, what would the client dependent files be?  Should I have done a fresh install of Umbraco and moved just the css, js, masterpage, macros, etc.. over rather than also moving the App_Code, App_Data, etc...?

Jul 20, 2012 @ 22:27
    Daniel Bardi

No worries.. everyone's a beginner at sometime...  that is all that should be need to move the database.

Client dependancy files are located in the App_Data folder.. they are named with GUIDs.. clear out the ClientDependancy folder of those files on the production site and try again.

Jul 20, 2012 @ 22:35
    Levi Jackson

Thanks for the info!

I just checked to ClientDependancy folder and it is actually already empty (it is also empty on the development site as well).

Jul 21, 2012 @ 05:05
    Daniel Bardi

My bad.. check in /App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependancy/

Jul 23, 2012 @ 15:23
    Levi Jackson

Ah ok, that did have quite a few files in it. I cleared them out aside from the one that looked like it had No dice clearing it out and restarting IIS.

Jul 23, 2012 @ 16:07
    Levi Jackson

Not sure if this is the issue or not, from IIS I went to:

1) Umbraco.sdf
    2) Right click/edit permissions
    3) Clicked Security tab
    4) Clicked Advanced button at the bottom
    5) Clicked the owner tab (I do not see the App Pool user account here, just the administrator and my local account)
    6) I tried adding the app pool user account by clicking 'Edit' and it doesn't seem to stick 

edit: nvm, I got it to stick and restarted server, still no dice

edit 2: I also just noticed my development machine is 32 bit and the production is 64 bit. Is there anything that is done by Umbraco that is dependent on that?

Jul 24, 2012 @ 20:26
    Levi Jackson

I did a lot more testing and configuring and I believe I know what the issue was, although I can't be 100% certain because I did a two things.

1) In Visual Studio on the development computer I compacted the database into a new file and moved it over.

2) I also re-installed SQL CE to the Program Files directory

Again, not sure which of the two resolved it, but the SQL CE database is now being read and I can load the site now.

Thanks for the help Daniel!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft