Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 11:58
    Kenny Burns

Ideal Server Setup

Hi Guys,

I thought I would try and get some feedback on what people generally do for server setup to run Umbraco websites. I will try and give some background to our current setup.

We are a development agency and have a VPS (cloud) which has around 50 websites on there (a custom built CMS) and over the last year we have been putting some Umbraco sites on there too (maybe around 6 so far). We are finding that the Umbraco sites are taking up more memory, which I believe is the norm, but for larger sites we find the memory usage and CPU spikes can be high.

I was just wondering what other people do regards hosting Umbraco sites. I have heard of Amazons EC2 setup and we could obviously get clients to get their own VPS - however this can be costly.

It would be interesting to hear of other peoples preferred setups, any experiences you can share, or pointers you could give would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!

K :)

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 12:13
    Tom Maton

Hi Kenny,

I've got multiple sites running on a VPS too but dont have any problems with larger sites in umbraco. 

Some questions which may help narrow things down tot he large spikes

1. What version of windows server are you running?
    2. Does each site have its own application pool?
    3. What version of Umbraco are you running?
    4. Are you caching any of your Macro's?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 12:31
    Kenny Burns

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it just seems that the sites are a little sluggish to load - could be server response time. One of the sites we are runnning which has around 400 nodes but a lot of images (around 5GB worth) is using ImageGen and is using quite a bit of memory. We did cache some of the macros which might be causing this. We suspect this site though is using a lot of bandwidth as well so going to move this site onto its own server.

• Its Windows Server 2008
    • Yes, each site has its own app pool
    • Its Umbraco 4.7.2
    • And yes we are caching a few of the macros to make things a bit faster.

Something we maybe thought of is that it could be the read/write speed on the hard disk which is causing the site to be a little slower. Our other custom CMS sites (.net/SQL) seem to run a bit quicker. The Umbraco sites seem slower to initially respond, but it may be due to the things i mention above.

Good to get another perspective - thanks! :)

K

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Aug 09, 2012 @ 14:02
    Tom Maton

One thing I've had before is that Umbraco was logging tons and because of it being async it was just causing bottle necks and this was the cause of the slowness. Check to see if there is anything in there causing you problems or lots of things being logged.

Tom

Aug 09, 2012 @ 17:46
    Kenny Burns

Thanks Tom - I will check this out and let you know if I find anything.

Kenny

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft