Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chicane 18 posts 38 karma points
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 04:40
    chicane

How to I point to a specific instance of SQL Server

I have an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 installed but it is not the default instance. When I proceed with the Umbraco installation it states that it SQL Server is not installed when it is. How do I point to the SQL install of my choosing?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 04:52
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

You can specify the server name & instance name in the connection, ie "YOURSQLSERVER\YOURSQLINTSANCE"

If you've already ran the install wizard you can adjust this in the web.config, in the umbracoDbDsn app setting.

If you're having trouble, try connecting via SSMS using the same name/instance you are giving Umbraco.

HTH,
    Tom 

Aug 10, 2012 @ 12:17
    chicane

I see no where in the Umbraco install wizard to set the SQL Server instance. It says SQL Server (Not Installed), but it is installed. Why does it keep doing that? And just going into the web.config and changing the connection string isn't going to do anything if there isn't a database to point to. Please assist. Honestly this si insane it wants to download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 whihc is a huge download when there is ALREADY a default instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 installed and running. I need to be able to point to this instance DURING the Umbraco install and tell Umbraco that the SQL instance exists.

Aug 10, 2012 @ 16:33
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

The first step is to create the database manually in your SQL Server install, just create a blank one along with a user with permissions to it.

Then during the install wizard, you specify the server/instance in the "Server" field (ie YOURMACHINE\SQLSERVER or .\SQLEXPRESS etc).  Enter the name of the DB you just created along with the credentials.  When you click Next, the installer will create all the necessary tables in your DB.

Here's a blog post that may help (How to install Umbraco manually)

Let us know how you get along..

-Tom

Aug 10, 2012 @ 23:19
    chicane

----------------------------------

Aug 11, 2012 @ 16:41
    chicane

--------------

Aug 13, 2012 @ 06:11
    Tom Fulton

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Web Platform Installer so I'm not sure why it thinks you don't have SQL installed

You can install Umbraco manually though using the steps above, the actual Umbraco install wizard (not WPI) will allow you to enter the SQL details regardless.

-Tom

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 14:39
    Richard Terris

I think this relates to the other post you made about this, which I've replied to

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft