Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 13:04
    Rob Watkins

REALLY weird 404 error on IIS7 using AppPoolIdentity

This is driving me mad, please help while I still have some hair left!

I set up a 4.8 install on my local IIS7 server, all works perfectly.

I then copied everything over to the live server, and got this really weird problem:

• All the Umbraco admin system works perfectly
    • All GET requests work perfectly
    • POST requests on the home page work perfectly
    • POST requests in a test page in a non umbraco folder (i.e. umbracoReservedPath) work perfectly
    • All other POST requests give me a 404
    I created a template file that is a simple textbox and button to clarify the situation, navigated directly to it then clicked the button. The IIS logs clearly show the GET /test.aspx ... 200 0 and then POST /test.aspx 404 0
    The umbracoLog table shows "Error" and the the URL, so there is something definitely happening in the Umbraco system, but that is the only error anywhere, no further info. 
    The only difference to the working test server is that this site is set up to run under the ApplicationPoolIdentity for security purposes, so I can only imagine it is some kind of permissions thing.
    Can anyone help? Is there a way of getting a more verbose error message in the log?

Aug 10, 2012 @ 14:43
    Rob Watkins

Progress; after downloading the trace tool http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/266/troubleshooting-failed-requests-using-tracing-in-iis/, I narrowed it down to NeatUpload.

Everything works fine without the NeatUpload module enabled, and I get the behaviour above with it enabled.

It seems to be a weird combination of Umbraco + NeatUpload + IIS7, but I'm still no closer to solving it really, as I'm not getting any error messages, just an odd entry in the trace log.

Aug 10, 2012 @ 15:21
    Rob Watkins

So, only solution I have found so far is to disble NeatUpload, not ideal but will have to do for now as I need to get this site up for a demo.

Is anyone out there using NeatUpload with Umbraco on IIS7? If so, did you have any config tips?

Aug 10, 2012 @ 16:43
    Rob Watkins

Closing this as answered to start a more appropriately named thread now I've identified NeatUpload as the culprit. 

Also, original post is wrong; test server is IIS6.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft