Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 23:37
    Hywel Bromby

Installing on eHosting

Hi

I have an older version of UMBRACO (4.0.4.2) as i have sites built on it that i cant move (thats another whole thread..is there a way to upgrade?)

My old hosting went bust so i am looking for new hosting. I backed up all of the files (but not the DB)

As EHosting was top of the UK recommended list i went for them, and got the "middle" package. However whe i log in to hosting i get all the PLEX rubbish. i downloaded a fresh copy of umbraco 4.0.4.2 (so that i can install it) and Managed to get the files uploded and created a clean DB, I then set the permissions on all of the folders and files TO Everything enabled (i will turn this down afterwards).

The problem i am having is when i navigate to the website, i get the umbraco install, and can get as far as selecting the database but when i try to install the database, i get the folllowing error

"Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\vhosts\weddingsorted.co.uk\httpdocs\jlumbky_.tmp' is denied. (C:\Inetpub\vhosts\weddingsorted.co.uk\httpdocs\web.config)"

I assume that this is because i could not set the permissins of the httpdocs folder?

Has anyone else experienced this? and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance

Hywel

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 16, 2012 @ 06:00
    Tom Fulton

Hi Hywel,

It definitely sounds like a permissions issue - I would check with your host to make sure you have write permissions to web.config as well as the other needed directories in the Umbraco install.

As a workaround you might be able to enter the connection string to your DB manually in the web.config file (appKey umbracoDbDsn), then when you launch the wizard should appear and complete the DB setup.

Also just an FYI, if you're planning to restore the site from your old install you'll need the old DB.

-Tom

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 14:14
    Hywel Bromby

Hi Thanks for the help. I managed to get it working by using the connection string as you said

I have recreated my site by:

1. Adding all of the Templates - this was as simple as adding a new template with the same name, it then picked up the old file with the content

2. Adding all of the document types, this wa a bit of a mannual chore but not to bad.

3 Adding content. I have begun adding content, i have the old UMBRACO.config file and am manually copying the values and adding them in the GUI.SUERLY there is some way i can just copy the entire file into the new UMBRACO.config? i did try but it did not pick up any new nodes. I assume that the nodes are actually being added to the db as well?

Does anyone know if this is possible? Any help oin this would be REALY REALLY good, as i have a very lonf day of copy paste otherwise.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 20, 2012 @ 01:00
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Unfortunately yes, the content is stored from the DB and the XML is generated from it, so simply copying the old umbraco.config won't help.

The only thing I can reccomend is CMSImport which works great for importing content, unfortunately I don't know of any pre-built tools for exporting from your old system.  If you have a lot of content it might be best to try using the old DB if you can.

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft