Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 16, 2012 @ 00:33
    Hywel Bromby

Restoring without DB

Hi I have version 4.0.4.2 of Umbraco. My hosting recently expired and i backit it up,unfortunately i did not back up the database

I have created a new database using a fresh install of umbraco (v4.0.4.2)

I then just overwrote all the files with my backed up copies.

I had epected this to work, however NO content is displayed, no templates are displayed and no Document types are displayed

CSS,XSLT, etc are all displayed

Is there some way that i can restore my sites without having to start again?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

cheers

Hywel

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 16, 2012 @ 01:04
    Paul Blair

First of all, make a backup of /data/umbraco.config . As you do not have your database backed up you are going to have to rebuild the site using this.

I do not know of a way of restoring your site without the DB, therefore my only thought is that you are going to have to rebuild the site. It is going to be a very manual process.

As you still have the umbraco.config most content can be recovered. However this is not complete e.g. if there is a {localLink:1065} reference or a Media file link these links will get broken

Roughly how many doc types, templates, macros, content nodes did you have?

Some points to get you started:

Go through the web.config and recreate your doc types. Each <node> represents a doctype and each <data> is a property of that doc type

Recreate the templates and copy your backed up master files

Create macros and XSLT. Copy your XSLT files over.

Copy any static files (CSS, non media library images, JS etc.)

Reload your media library files

Recreate the content based on the web.config

Consider upgrading to the latest version of Umbraco while you are at it. However you will likely have to re-write your XSLT's as the format changed after 4.5

See what breaks and fix it...

Good Luck!

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 14:26
    Hywel Bromby

Hi I have done all of that except the "Recreate the content based on the web.config" I am in the process of MANNUALLY adding it back in through the GUI, is there any way i can just upload the old file? when i try and copy values from teh old file into the new, they are not picked up :(

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 23:43
    Paul Blair

I meant umbraco.config, not web.config. I'm not aware of any way other than the manually copying and pasting your old content...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft