Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Aug 27, 2012 @ 14:44
    Anthony Candaele

Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier

Hi,

I just copied an Umbraco-website (v4.7.2) from the server to my local system. After setting permissions and changing the db-connectionstring in the web.config file, the website runs on my local system.

However when I want to access the Umbraco backend, I get an YSOD:

Anyone else encountered this problem, and how did you solve it?

Thanks for your help,
    Anthony

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 27, 2012 @ 20:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anthony

This is a long shot - but are the DB versions you're using on the server and locally the same or do they differ? For instance mssql 2008 / mssql 2008 r2.

/Jan

Aug 27, 2012 @ 20:45
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jan,

Good question. Didn't thinks of this, as I assumed the DB version where the same. I'll check it out first time in morning when I'm at my office :)

Thanks for your help,

Anthony

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 27, 2012 @ 20:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anthony

Well, it's worth checking but when I come to think about it I think you would already have had issues importing the database locally since mssql 2008 and mssql 2008 r2 are not compatible with each other...

But let's see what you find out in the morning :)

/Jan

Aug 29, 2012 @ 09:57
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jan,

I checked it, and to my surprise, the YSOD is gone when accessing the Umbraco Backoffice. Very odd indeed!

greetings,

Anthony

Aug 29, 2012 @ 11:23
    Anthony Candaele

I get the same error message for an other website on my local machine. The website renders, but when I try to go the Umbraco Backoffice I get an YSOD with the message: 

I'm upgrading my system, now, maybe I need to upgrade my sqlserver 2008 R2 database server.

greetings,
    Anthony

Aug 29, 2012 @ 14:59
    Anthony Candaele

it seems like really odd, and random behaviour. When I stop the website in IIS 7.5, start another website, and then restart the previous website, I'm able again to access the Umbraco Backoffice.

I really have no clue what's going on here. Is it my sqlserver database, is it the Umbraco website, or is the problem located at my webserver?

A though one indeed.

greetings,

Anthony

• Carsten Fallesen 35 posts 154 karma points
    Aug 29, 2012 @ 18:37
    Carsten Fallesen

Hi Anthony,

I just experienced the same thing trying to log in via chrome. Because of your description of the problem I felt the urge to try firefox to verify if cookies would play any role in this. In firefox I could log in without problems. After that I deleted the cookies in chrome and was able to log in again. Not completely sure what happens here, but I hope this will help you as well

/Carsten

Aug 30, 2012 @ 09:20
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Carsten,

I cannot reproduce the error anymore, but I also think it might be a cookie thing. The next I'll get the conversion error, I'll clear my browser cache to see if this works. I also only used Chrome, so the next time when the problem occurs, I'll test this with Firefox.

Thanks for letting me know,

Anthony

• Denford 132 posts 323 karma points
    Sep 04, 2012 @ 10:24
    Denford

hi guys,

had the same problem twice in two days and had to clear my browser cookies on both ocassions, wonder if anyone has worked out what the problem is as this might get a bit annoying if it keeps happening regular.

Denford

Sep 04, 2012 @ 19:29
    Anthony Candaele

hi Denford,

If it can be of any comfort, I never had the errormessage again afterwards (knock on wood)

greetings,

Anthony

Sep 05, 2012 @ 10:09
    Anthony Candaele

yup, I can confirm it's a cookie-issue in Chrome. After getting the "Conversion"-error again, I checked it in Firefox. In Firefox I could go to the Umbraco Backoffice without a problem.

So I emptied my cache in the Chrome browser. This did not solve the problem.

Then I removed the installed cookies from my Chrome browser. After this I could go to the Umbraco Backoffice in Chrome whitout having the "Conversion"-error.

So Carsten got it right, it is a cookie issue in Chrome.

greetings,

Anthony

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 12:45
    Matthias

happened to me after upgrading from 4.8.1 to 4.9 in Firefox, too. After deleting the cookies it woked again.

• Will Maginn 8 posts 31 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 19:10
    Will Maginn

Thanks Carsten,

Upgrading umbraco to 4.9 and that error came up, clearing the cookies worked for me.

Thanks,

Will

• Simon Dingley 1471 posts 3428 karma points c-trib
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 20:26
    Simon Dingley

+1 for the solution on removing cookies, that fixed it for me, I doubt this is browser specific though as some seem to be indicating.

• Bjørn Fridal 274 posts 784 karma points
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 12:29
    Bjørn Fridal

Thanks Anthony,

I used Chrome's Incognito mode, after reading your reply about cookies. Worked like a charm :)

Cheers

• firepol 125 posts 173 karma points
    Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:57
    firepol

I had the same problem, with firefox. I loaded the /umbraco/umbraco.aspx from chrome and didn't get that YSOD.

In Firefox, with WebDeveloper Toolbar I deleted the domain cookies and that solved the problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft