Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• subbarao 3 posts 33 karma points
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 01:06
    subbarao

Installing Umbraco 4.0.12 out of Web Platform Installer

I tried to install umbraco from web platform installer. The install gave me a success message but after running the website it gives me an error saying

The resource cannot be found. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; }

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /install/default.aspx

What should be done ?

I am running IIS 7 , Windows 7 and SQL Server 2008

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 08:35
    Chris Koiak

Hi Subbarao,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you create a text file (test.txt) in the root folder and view that via the website (e.g.http://localhost/text.txt)?

If so, confim that the install folder exists, and has the default.aspx page in it's root.

Finally you may want to check that the *.aspx extension is enabled (or not prohibited) in IIS.

Chris

• Lou Estrada 3 posts 44 karma points
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 17:16
    Lou Estrada

I have the same issue. I installed it to a subfolder from the root of the website.  it redirects to <root>/install instead of <root>/UmbracoCms/install

Can Umbraco be run from a subdirectory, or must it run at the root of the website?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 17:28
    Douglas Robar

Umbraco does not run from a subdirectory or virtual directory. It must be installed in the root of the website. Of course you can run multiple websites on any version of IIS (except WinXP, which is restricted to one site... if you're on XP I recommend http://jetstat.com/iisadmin/ to make life easier).

cheers,
    doug.

Aug 09, 2009 @ 17:29
    subbarao

I agree with Lou Estrada

i found out that umbraco needs to be installed on root directory it couldnot be a subdirectory under IIS.

I installed it right under c:\inetput\wwwroot\  without a subdirectory and everything works fine now.

Aug 09, 2009 @ 18:20
    subbarao

Yes Douglas you are correct , i solved it by installing umbraco on root of website as i was using windows 7 i had not to worry about mulitple websites in IIS.

Thanks again for the help

Aug 09, 2009 @ 20:50
    Lou Estrada

That is unfortunate.  It is such an arbitrary and unnecessary limitation.  mojoPortal, DNN... I don't know... is Umbraco worth it?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 22:32
    Dirk De Grave

Yes, umbraco is worth it! Sub dirs are currently not allowed as core still has some hard coded references to paths making it hard to make the change. I think I've heard somewhere that it should get solved in a future release (altho not sure what release exactly)

Cheers,

/Dirk

Aug 10, 2009 @ 12:41
    Lou Estrada

Thanks for your reply.  If nothing else, the Web Platform Installer is confusing in that it asks you for a directory name.  I did try manual install next, but there was no indication that it was root-only.  It should be made clear in the documentation and possibly a note on the download page.  It was too painful for me to figure that out and soured the experience so far.  If I knew it was root-only from the beginning, I would not have wasted so much time.  Now I just have to get cassini to cooperate....

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 12:48
    Dirk De Grave

It has confused me as well... but here's a wiki reference I've found on this subject...

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft