Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zar 5 posts 25 karma points
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 06:12
    Zar

Installing an Umbraco site using existing content

I'm working on an Umbraco website that has been around for years and been updated many times. Recently, upgrading from 4.7.2 to 4.8.1 the sites performance has been awful. The application pool has been sitting at 100% CPU and memory usage, even when doubling the resources of the machine.

We have attempted to diagnose the issue to no avail and are at a point where we want to build a new server for the site, it needed it even without this issue arising. What would be preferable would be to use a clean install of Umbraco and then migrate the data over to the new install, this would remove all the crap clogging up the site left over from the old versions of Umbraco.

So that leads to my question: What is the best way to migrate tens of thousands of nodes from the developer, settings, media and content tabs into a new website? As far as I'm aware there are two issues, both with their own problems:

• Courier - Courier seems to not be able to handle 20-30 nodes, let alone 10000.
    • Write a migration application - Playing around with a database not through the regular interface could introduce more of the very problems we're going down this path to begin with.
    Thanks.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 12:42
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

There is also the CMS import package, but that would probably only work if you can somehow export all you content.

Courier is currently at version 2.7 and should have better performance, but I don't know if it will work with 10000 nodes.

Jeroen

• Niels Lynggaard 190 posts 548 karma points
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 12:52
    Niels Lynggaard

CMSImport works great, but it has its limitations. If you're using XML for import, you are stuck with one content type for each xml-document.

If you create your import definition as parent/child definitions you can import whole sections with different kind of content types. I guess that is possible to do, if you somehow can create the SQL-statements to select your nodes/content.

I think I would propably give CMSImport a go first to see if that could help you out. I've been using it to import content from other CMS'es both through SQL-statements and XML imports and I've been happy about that.

Another option to try is to setup the new server but use the old database? That way no migration is needed, but you might be stuck with the same problem..

• Zar 5 posts 25 karma points
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 01:17
    Zar

Thanks for the replies, I'll give CMSImport a try and then Courier I guess.

By new server and old database I assume you mean bringing in the old website folder also, this is what I'm trying to avoid. Plus without the old folder all the media would be broken, and likely a bunch of other stuff too yea?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft