• Bongbong 20 posts 40 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 12:03
    Bongbong

Running multiple Umbraco instances on localhost

Hi,

I have the following two Umbraco instances running on localhost on 2 ports:

http://localhost:8001

http://locahost:8002

However, I can only log into 1 at a time. If I log into another one, the previous one will log me out. Is it a bug in my setup or something? I would like to be able to work on 2 differents sites in two browser windows at the same time without having to log in and log out when I switch sites.

Thanks.

Sep 07, 2012 @ 12:06
    Bongbong

I am using Umbraco version 4.0.4.2.

I think this login timed out issues are caused by the Umbraco cookie every time I log into one of the them.

Is there any way to fix this issue regarding my problems stated above?

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 00:21
    Paul Blair

have you tried creating a entry in the hosts file for each site and using that to bind to IIS. they should be treated as 2 seperate websites if you do that

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 13:02
    Drew

If you are using the same browser then you can only log into one instance of Umbraco at any one time.
    (ok, sometimes it works OK, but sometimes it freaks out).

Either use two different browsers (Firefox, Chrome) or create a new Incognitor/Private browsing session for each site you want to work on simultaneously.

I believe that Umbraco uses the same cookie name for all sites to see whether you're logged in or not, so when you use one browser for two sites, the second site overwrites the login cookie, kicking you out of the first site.
    (I think)

Cheers,
    Drew 

Sep 08, 2012 @ 13:03
    Drew

Actually, checking on the cookies - it uses a unique cookier per domain. Just make sure you've set a new site cookie name in your config.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 00:37
    Jeroen Breuer

I never tried it, but I've heard you can also try the private browsing mode in IE.

Jeroen

Sep 12, 2012 @ 14:19
    Bongbong

Thanks all for the useful tips.

Drew, how can I do this in my web.config?

"Just make sure you've set a new site cookie name in your config."

Sep 12, 2012 @ 21:20
    Drew

Actually, the cookie I'm referring to is probably only used for the Member auth, its in the web.config under:

<authentication mode="Forms">
          <forms name="yourAuthCookie" loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All" path="/" />
        </authentication>
        <authorization>

Maybe the core needs looking a to see how it handles cookies for multiple site admin logins within the same session - as I said, it appears to be setting a cookie named after hte website (e.g. 'mysite.co.uk'") - so there shouldn't ever be an issue (but there is, hence my recommendation to use a private browser session).

Cheers,

Sep 13, 2012 @ 10:49
    Bongbong

Okay thanks, Drew.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft