Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 12:25
    Dan

Run umbraco and non-umbraco sites in IIS

Hi,

I'm about to install Umbraco on my local machine on IIS.  Currently I run loads of classic ASP and a couple of .NET websites as virtual directories on my local machine, so I can develop/test etc.  e.g. I browse to 'http://localhost/mytestdomain/' or 'http://localhost/anotherdomain'.  If I install Umbraco, will it 'hijack' IIS so as to make these sites not work any more?

I won't be developing every new site in Umbraco, so I really only need it to be installed on particular domains.

Is this possible?  Is it how it works anyway?  If not, how to people go about this?

Thanks all...

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 12:45
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Dan,

On what os are you? Are you on Xp? In that case, try using IISAdmin from jetstat.com which enables you to create multiple websites on your local pc. If using a later os, then there should be no issue creating a new website in IIS. Anyway, umbraco should be installed at the root of the website, not in a vir dir or subdirectory (installation will run smoothly, but you'll run into issues later on when working with the admin backend)

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:25
    Dan

Thanks Dirk,

I'm on Vista, IIS 7.  So does this mean I can run Umbraco on just one of the domains without affecting the other domains which are currently set up?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:52
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes, you definately can. Just create a completely new website (not a virtual directory) and install Umbraco there.

If you need more "domain names", just enter them in your hosts file like this:

127.0.0.1    umbracosite.local

When creating the new website, use the name you used in your hosts file to create the new site.

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:54
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Dan

Yes it's entirely possible, I usually create a a single website for all my testing / develop websites in IIS7, and then edit my hosts file to have entries for the different domains hosted on IIS7, this removes the need for virtual dirs, which Umbraco doesn't support.

So make a directory for your umbraco solution, copy in the necessary files, create a website in IIS7 that has the created dir as root dir, and make the website use your preferred domain name like mydomain.local.

Then add the following entry to your hosts file and youre off:

127.0.0.1 mydomain.local

Regards
    .Hauge

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:55
    Douglas Robar

Create a new website in IIS and assign a hostheader to it. Then add the same to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (or to your DNS server if you prefer). That way you can access your site at http://hostheadername.example.com/

With Vista you can create as many sites as you like, each with their own domain or hostheader. You can then install as many copies of umbraco as you like without disturbing those you've already got running on 'localhost'.

Tons of info via google on setting up websites, hostheaders, etc. in IIS and Vista. That part isn't related to umbraco specifically.

cheers,
    doug.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 23:09
    Dirk De Grave

Dan,

Instead of creating a new web yourself, let web pi for umbraco do this one for you. Beware of this remark tho (also counts for non win2008 server os)

And indeed, as others have said before, just make some minor changes to your hosts file to be able to browse the site on your vista box.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft