Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• arun 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 16:00
    arun

Does Umbraco has version control feature?

I am looking to integrate version control feature in my current .Net project. I am not sure if Umbraco could do that. I have a list of files, zip files, images and if some changes (new, modify) occured to any of these file then it should be logged in history and a new version should be available. Rollback feature would be nice to have. I am using .Net 2.0 framework, JavaScript, XML etc.

I have following questions:

1) Does Umbraco have a document management function that will allow the users of our site to upload office documents and other file types into a file library available from the site? If 

2) Does it allows to keep multiple versions of a same file/document/html etc? If so how does it do? Does it use database or something? Can it shows what are the diffrences in two different version?

3) Does it provide check out/check in capability (like sourcesafe) and keep track of versioning based on the check out / check in capability.

Any help, suggestions?

• Shannon Deminick 1526 posts 5272 karma points MVP 3x
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 16:23
    Shannon Deminick

Umbraco has versioning for content but not for files. The media section of Umbraco doesn't have any versioning and therefore no rollback functionality. The Content section has full versioning control and rollback functionality including support for running Diffs against the different versions. Umbraco is a content management system, not quite a document management system, though i suppose there could be some packages that would support this better.

There's been some discussions about versioning the media section so it will most likely happen sometime in the future.

As for checkin/checkout support I think that Concierge/Courier will support this in the next version (this months from memory) which would require an Umbraco Pro license.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 17:42
    Chris Koiak

Remember that as you can use the Upload datatype in the content section you could in effect have a (simple) Document Management system from there. This also makes listing the files easier.

1) Does Umbraco have a document management function that will allow the users of our site to upload office documents and other file types into a file library available from the site? If 

You would need to create your own. This is possible as Umbraco has an API that allows you to create nodes from your code.

2) Does it allows to keep multiple versions of a same file/document/html etc? If so how does it do? Does it use database or something? Can it shows what are the diffrences in two different version?

When a file is uploaded it is stored in a folder structure based on the meta data properties database id (e.g. /media/1234/your image.jpg). Differences between the metadata of each node is possible (like who edited it, where is the new file, whats the name change, etc), but it will not show you the differences in the uploaded files.

3) Does it provide check out/check in capability (like sourcesafe) and keep track of versioning based on the check out / check in capability.

Nope. However I implemented a similar solution where you code (written in point 1) would update a 'status' property on the document/node. This would change the document to either Checked In, Checked Out or New.

• Dan White 206 posts 510 karma points c-trib
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 18:27
    Dan White

As far as the document management goes: So the files are stored in a folder you specify, is that right? Not just a generic files folder.

Is there a way to make it so users can only see files that they, or their group, uploaded? Or even give each group their own file folder?

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 19:40
    Chris Koiak

The files are stored in a generic files folder. This folder then contains sub folders based on current DB id of that property. The db id increases (and therefore changes) with every save of the content node. You could create a custom data type that saves the files in a different folder structure. 

You can restrict the content node based on the current logged user, but the files folder (domain.com/media) is accessible to all and if you know the url of a file you will be able to access it. To stop this you would need to redirect all file (*.doc, *.pdf) requests through .NET and perform your own security checks.

So... it's all possible, but not without some code to fix these issues.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 21:07
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Dan,

I've created a similar solution to protect media files from unauthorized downloading (it's structured in folders for which you can set what groups are able to download). It's 'feature' complete (altho not that big a project, but have recently finished the functionaltiy) and can be downloaded from Codeplex at http://pm4umbraco.codeplex.com

Currently working on an install package and documentation.

If, however, you need some more info about this utility (might take a while before package/docs are ready), contact me at dirk[@]netaddicts[.]be

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 10:33
    Richard Soeteman

Just a post for everyone who is interested.

I've just released a media protect package, which allows you to protect media in the same simple way as you protect content in Umbraco. No additional configuration needed. Just install the package and it works.

Check out the projects page for more info and a fully functional trial download.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft