Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 17:09
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Can't create new XSLT files after upgrading from 4.8 to 4.9

Hi all,

I've upgraded a site from v. 4.8 to 4.9 and everything went as it should. However, I can't create new XSLT files anymore after the upgrade :-/

When clicking "Create" after typing in the name of the XSLT file I get the following nullpointer exception:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensionsImpl() +1166
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +178
       umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensions() +335
       umbraco.macro.AddXsltExtensionsToHeader(String xslt) +196
       umbraco.XsltTasks.Save() +645
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 TypeId, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +681
       umbraco.presentation.create.xslt.sbmt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +256
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +154
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3803

Anyone had this problem before and found a fix for it? :-)

Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Bo

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 17:54
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Bo,

This will most likely be related to the EXSLT references. In 4.9, they were moved out of the core code and put into the /config/xsltExtensions.config file.

Check the release notes for details of other config changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BoZ10Td7c8bmr-gDaUHqqQQgaqVnhJC0Gk-MyFHLBoY/edit

Cheers, Lee.

Sep 11, 2012 @ 17:59
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Lee,

Yes, that's what I was thinking :-) I have simply copied over the 4.9 config files and dll files. I've also tried to delete them from my site and then copying over the 4.9 config files, just to be sure.

I've checked that the new xslt extensions are in the xsltExtensions.config which they are :-)

I'm sure I've just done something wrong here.. just can't think of what I would be.

Thanks again.

- Bo

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 18:11
    Morten Bock

Looking at the code, the null reference would probably be related to parsing the xml file. Are there any typos in there? (Can you copy it here?)

Sep 11, 2012 @ 18:50
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Sure thing, here's the xsltExtensions.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <XsltExtensions>
        <!-- This file is used to register 3rd party XSLT extensions (methods you can execute from XSLT, like umbraco.library:NiceUrl) -->
        <!-- <ext assembly="assemblyName" type="assemblyName.namespace.type" alias="custom" /> -->
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltCommon" alias="Exslt.ExsltCommon" />
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" alias="Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" />
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltMath" alias="Exslt.ExsltMath" />
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" alias="Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" />
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltStrings" alias="Exslt.ExsltStrings" />
        <ext assembly="umbraco" type="umbraco.presentation.xslt.Exslt.ExsltSets" alias="Exslt.ExsltSets" />
    </XsltExtensions>

Thanks again :-)

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 19:25
    Morten Bock

Hmm, that looks fine. i just tried to see if I could provoke a null reference, but no luck. Only other bet I have is permissions. :-/ 

Or hooking up a debugger with the source to see what is going on...

Sep 11, 2012 @ 23:45
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Thanks Morten!

I've doublechecked the permissions now and it's looking just fine :-) Can also create Razor files, so I guess that permissions are all good.

This is not the only issue I'm having. When clicking on a folder in the media section I get a 500 server error when trying to reach:

/base/FolderBrowserService/GetChildren/1141?_=1347399317726

With the following exception:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.presentation.umbracobase.restExtension..ctor(String extensionAlias, String methodName) +666
    umbraco.presentation.umbracobase.requestModule.httpApp_PostAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) +878
    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously) +164

Looks like *something* is wrong with the umbraco.presentation assembly (?) since the xslt creation error also referred to that. I've tried to delete all dll's again and then copy over the 4.9 dlls, with no luck.

Soo... the search goes on :-) If anyone knows what I am missing, please let me know.

Thanks again!

- Bo

Sep 12, 2012 @ 02:24
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Found the issue:

Seems that you cannot simply add other projects as a reference to the Umbraco website in Visual Studio and then build the other projects for copying dll's... for some reason I can't explain :-)

Deleted all of my own dlls from the site, removed the references i Visual Studio to my other projects, set up post build events with XCOPY and everything runs as it should now. Lesson learned!

Still would like to know why it's not possible to make a reference to other projects in VS.

- Bo

• Christopher W. Brandsdal 72 posts 133 karma points
    Oct 08, 2012 @ 16:37
    Christopher W. Brandsdal

I have the same issue. I use my own dll with alot of functions I use, but that dll does not have a reference to any umb dlls. I remove the dll and it works fine. I really need the functionality, so how do I use my own dlls in an umbraco installation?

• Christopher W. Brandsdal 72 posts 133 karma points
    Oct 09, 2012 @ 13:00
    Christopher W. Brandsdal

Well, I figured it out. Had a reference in the dll to another dll that wasn't there. Has been working in older versions, but 4.9 would not accept this. :-)

• Justin Moore 41 posts 100 karma points
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 12:17
    Justin Moore

I had this happen due to Lucene.Net.Contrib.Highlighter.dll being in my bin which I guess must've been referencing the old version of Lucene

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft