Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bnkrazy 44 posts 33 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:25
    bnkrazy

Installation into an existing remote database

I'm looking into hosting and they only allow one DB per client account.  As a reseller, I'd be OK with that as Umbraco would do 99% of the stuff I need, but I sometimes get requests to use a specific photo gallery, forum software, etc.

Can Umbraco be installed into a single database that is shared with other apps safely?  Use phpBB3 for an example, where you can pick a db table prefix, etc.

I have only used 3.x in the past, and I'm not sure how the 4.x installer works.

Thanks for any insight!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you can create your own table prefix for the other apps, then everything is fine and dandy! The DB schema hasn't changed much between 3 and 4.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 08:55
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

That is not a problem. When I develop custom solutions for clients I'll always use the Umbraco Database (the other way arround). So I first install Umbraco and then the other apps. I haven't found any issues with that. I've also seen people on this forum integrating YetAnotherForum in their umbraco installations/databases.

When you install Umbraco it will check if the database tables exists in the database. So in theory it must be possible to use an existing database with tables and install Umbraco in that DB. Never tested that though.

Cheers,

Richard  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft