Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 150 posts 489 karma points
    Aug 11, 2009 @ 16:10
    J

Load balanced environment caching

Hi,

When publishing from the Master to the Slave server in a Load Balanced environment, is there any way to send over the umbraco.config on the /data folder and force the Slave server to use this file?

Basically what I want to achieve is to run the Slave server without any connection to the database.

Regards

J

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 12:24
    Douglas Robar

There are two questions here. The first is how to share the /data folder between servers. This is a requirement of load-balanced sites and can be done with a SAN, DFS, or even file synching (though synching is never a great solution in my opinion). There is info in the wiki as well as umbraco.tv and a search this forum, the old umbraco forum, and google on how to set up load balancing for multiple servers. It's not difficult.

The second question is about running umbraco without a database attached. This might be possible but I can also imagine difficulties. While the content, templates, css, javascript, xslt macros are all stored in files (as well as the database), some features will require going back to the database. The umbraco.library:GetMedia() function is one example. So depending on how you build your site you might be able to run in a database-free environment for the production site, but it will take some testing of your specific site to be sure.

Another option would be to write static html pages from your umbraco site, and serve those instead. This is easily done as an event handler when a page is published. Again, various sources of information on how to do this can be found with a quick google search.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft