Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Anderson 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 27, 2012 @ 23:34
    Craig Anderson

Getting started - .NET developers, how what process do you follow?

Hello,

I am getting started with Umbraco - or, perhaps I should say I am trying!

I am a .NET developer. I am used to master pages, user controls, etc. I develop primarily using Visual Studio 2010.

My only previous CMS experience has been with what was formerly known as Red Dot.

After a fair bit of research, yesterday I downloaded Umbraco for the first time and began playing with the simple starter site. I like what I have seen so far.

But I find myself wondering what approach other .NET developers more familiar and experienced with Umbraco take when they develop sites that will use the CMS - from scratch.

The main reason I wonder is that, with Red Dot, we typically migrated existing sites into the CMS, following a process of breaking up web pages into separate templates. Although it was possible to carry out the complete development process within the CMS, it was generally regarded as easier to follow that approach. I can begin to see how I might follow a similar approach with Umbraco. But in my freelance capacity, I will more often than not be developing sites from scratch.

So, my fellow .NET developers, how do you go about it?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft