Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Behrens 53 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 16, 2012 @ 23:25
    Jon Behrens

Umbraco 4.9 new install could not load UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter

Hello

I have a new installation. Windows 7 pro, IIS 7.5 express, SQL Server 2012 Express.

I unpack the Umbraco 4.9 distro into a local directory, create a new application in IIS Manager and point to the directory where Umbraco is unpacked (I unblocked the zip file before unpacking). When I start a browser and point to the site, the Umbraco setup screens show up and allow me to set up the database. Everything proceeds as would be expected. When I click on the let's get started button which should take me to the Umbraco back end to add content, I get the error "Could not load file or assembly 'UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." When I look in the bin directory, the file UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter.dll is present.

I've tried this half a dozen times - very frustrating.

Thanks for any help

Jon

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 17, 2012 @ 04:29
    Tom Fulton

Hi Jon,

Very strange!  Is there a full stack trace you can paste here or is that the only message you're seeing?

Can you verify your app pool is running in 4.0 Integrated mode?

-Tom

Oct 17, 2012 @ 17:54
    Jon Behrens

Thanks Tom - I finally found it. It was a permission problem. I have two hard drives. IIS was installed on the C drive and when I made the project directory, I pointed the site to a directory on the D drive. I'm sure there's a way to make that work, but the initial response of IIS was not to trust the Umbraco dll and refuse to load it. Once I enabled tracing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion|EnableLog (DWORD = 1) the problem became obvious.

As a side question, I'm not an IIS jock - does anyone know how to make IIS trust an Umbraco install on another drive? For the moment, I"ve got it under C:\inetpub\wwwroot and that works.

Thanks again Tom

Jon

Oct 17, 2012 @ 17:55
    Tom Fulton

Hi Jon,

Hmm, I've never ran into that before.  We run a lot of our websites off the D drive with no additional configuration.  Did you make sure the user running the app pool has full NTFS permissions to your website?

-Tom

Oct 17, 2012 @ 18:09
    Jon Behrens

I'm the only user and I'm an administrator. Is it possible that IIS got installed with some other user? I just used WebMatrix and accepted the defaults when I set it up. How would I check this?

Oct 19, 2012 @ 17:57
    Tom Fulton

Hi Jon,

The permissions I was referring to was the user who is running the application pool.  If you haven't changed anything this is usually "Network Service".  You can check by going to IIS -> Application Pools and selecting Advanced Settings for your pool, and looking at the Identity field.

So you might want to try giving this user (or just the IIS_IUSRS group if its "ApplicationPoolIdentity") full control to your site's directory.

Not sure this is the issue but its something to check.  Again I haven't ever seen issues running from another drive.  Not used WebMatrix though..

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft