Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason 22 posts 41 karma points
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 23:07
    Jason

Unable to login to umbraco backend when installing to shared host and accessing from temporary url

I've installed umbraco with a shared hosting company.  When I try and get to the umbraco backend and enter my admin userid and password I get the red shaking border around the login inputs.  I'm accessing the site from a temporary url, it is a demo client site and I do not have a domain name to access the site.  So the url looks like this:

http://XXXXXX.webmatrix2.XXX.com

I've read where someone else had this issue and once they pointed the domain name to the site it worked.  How can I resolve this as I'm not going to update DNS to point to the actual domain name until I can test the site?

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 13:15
    Mark Bennett

Jason,

You still having an issue with this? If so is it the only umbraco site running on that web server? Have you assigned a hostname to the site in the umbraco back end?

It doesn't really sound like an issue with your DNS to me but an issue with the credentials of the username and password but I could be wrong.

Mark.

Oct 24, 2012 @ 06:32
    Jason

Still having the issue, this is on a shared hosted environment.  I haven't assigned a hostname as I do not want the client's domain to point to this account until everything has been testing.  I've done the same on windows azure website and didn't have any issues.  I'm guessing it has to be related to the hosting company.

Thanks,

Jason

Oct 24, 2012 @ 07:05
    Jason

Error I'm seeing and trace output:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +84
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +132
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains() +158
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomain(String DomainName) +44
       umbraco.requestHandler.CreateXPathQuery(String url, Boolean checkDomain) +232
       umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url) +523
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1062
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +9009702
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +328

Trace Information

CategoryMessageFrom First(s)From Last(s)
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'DigibizAdvancedMediaPicker.DAMP_ApplicationBase    
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'Our.Umbraco.DocTypeMixins.Logic.AppBase 0.001865568 0.001866
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'TheOutfield.UmbExt.MediaIcons.Logic.AppBase 0.002230432 0.000365
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'uBlogsy.Web.Extensions.UmbracoExtensions 0.003805424 0.001575
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'uComponents.Core.DataTypes.MultiPickerRelations.MultiPickerRelationsEventHandler 0.00624424 0.002439
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'umbraco.LibraryCacheRefresher 0.030971664 0.024727
    registerIapplications + Adding application 'umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProviderAccessUpdate 0.10048728 0.069516
    umbracoGlobalsettings reserverd urls: '/config/splashes/booting.aspx,/config/splashes/nonodes.aspx,/install/,/umbraco/,' 0.120300544 0.019813
    aspx.page Begin PreInit 0.149443584 0.029143
    umbracoInit handling request 0.154964288 0.005521
    request handler current url '' 0.166441584 0.011477
    Unhandled Execution Error
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0()
      at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem[TT](String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem)
      at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains()
      at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomain(String DomainName)
      at umbraco.requestHandler.CreateXPathQuery(String url, Boolean checkDomain)
      at umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url)
      at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
      at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
      at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 14:22
    Mark Bennett

Jason,

So what happens if you assign a domain and then put an entry in your local hosts file so that only you see the site while deveoping?

Mark.. 

Oct 24, 2012 @ 16:23
    Jason

Hi Mark,

I was able to resolve this issue, nothing to do with host headers or anything.  It came down to the hosting compay's database server was acting up so I changed the connection string in the web.config to an IP of the server and everything worked.  I would have expected a different YSOD error message like unable to connect to sql as I wasn't even thinking about the database connection, but that is what it was.

Thanks for looking keeping an eye on the issue.

Jason

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:03
    Mark Bennett

Jason,

It did seem a bit of an odd issue. Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Mark.

• TimNape 12 posts 32 karma points
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 22:28
    TimNape

Compiling into the bin folder had replaced MySql.Data.dll with another version - hence Umbraco could not connect to the database

Solved mine - what a frustration close to D day

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft