Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Przemek Luczak 19 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 12:13
    Przemek Luczak

Staging and Live site sharing database?

Hi there,

I have a quick question regarding the server setup I am thinking of however I am not sure whether it's safe.

I would like to set up two sites in IIS (Live and Staging) which would share the Database so I don't need to worry about transferring newly registered Members nor content changes?

Any guidance would be appreaciated.

Thanks
    Przemek

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Oct 21, 2012 @ 18:01
    Jeroen Breuer

There are some risks when doing this. For example if you publish a node on the staging website the live website will also say it's published (as that's stored in the db), but actually it's not. Because the umbraco.config xml didn't get updated on the live website. There are also some caching problems. So it's possible, but be careful.

Jeroen

Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:19
    Przemek Luczak

Thanks very much for your input here! That's great news it can be running in this setup.

In therms of caching problems, wouldn't "Republish entire site" performed on both sites sort out syncing with the DB? So as soon a I'm happy with changes on the Staging site, I would "Republish entire site" on Live site or the other way around, do changes on the Live site and "Republish entire site" on Staging one to make sure it's in sync?

Thanks
    Przemek

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Oct 22, 2012 @ 13:01
    Jeroen Breuer

Yes if you "Republish entire site" on both sites the umbraco.config file will be updated and that should solve it. What I meant with the caching problems is that sometimes you can create a property on a documenttype or a dictionary item on the staging and it doesn't appear live yet. Making a change to the web.config usally solves that problem.

Jeroen

Oct 22, 2012 @ 13:06
    Przemek Luczak

That makes sense, thanks for your help Jeroen!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft