Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 04:34
    Terry Clancy

Getting error "Your permission settings are not ready for umbraco!"

Reposting because Rich Text Editor mangled my post and does not allow me to edit it :-(

I  am installing Umbraco 4.9.0 on a Windows 8 domain connected computer and go the following error 

Screen Shot >>>> 

Step 3/5: Validating File Permissions

Umbraco needs write/modify access to certain directories in order to store files like pictures and PDF's. It also stores temporary data (aka: cache) for enhancing the performance of your website.

Your permission settings are not ready for umbraco!

In order to run umbraco, you'll need to update your permission settings.

How to Resolve

Watch our video tutorial on setting up folder permissions for umbraco or read the text version.

Watch: Setting up folder permissions

Affected files and folders

You need to grant ASP.NET modify permissions to the following files/folders: 

Directory: ./~/macroScripts

Directory: ./~/usercontrols

Directory: ~/bin

Directory: ~/usercontrols

More information on setting up permissions for umbraco here.

View Permission Error Details:

<<<< End Screen Shot

I have set folder permissions as detailed at   http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line ;

Can anyone help me understand what I need to do to resolve this please ?? 

Terry Clancy

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 06:42
    Tom Fulton

Hi Terry,

It looks like that wiki article assumes your app pool is running as NETWORK SERVICE.  Can you verify who it's running as?

To do so, in IIS, goto Application Pools, select the one your site is using, click Advanced Settings and look at the Identity.  This is the user who you'll need to grant rights to the Umbraco folder.  If it's running as "ApplicationIdentity", you can try giving the IIS_IUSRS group permissons which should include this user.

Otherwise, since you did this from command line you may want to make sure the commands actually took effect.  Try right-clicking the folder and going to Properties, then Security tab to verify the appropriate user has full control permissions.

Note I've not tried this on Windows 8, so can't speak to that specifically, but these are the first things I'd check on a Win7 box.

Hope this helps,
    Tom 

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 08:23
    Terry Clancy

Thanks Tom, thanks to your help I now have it going :-),

In answer to your question the Name of my Site is IngridClancy and it was set up with to use an AppPool called IngridClancy which was running wiht the Identity "ApplicationPoolIdentity".

Thanks to your guidance I have now fixed the problem - to do so I did two main steps

(1) Made the web site Connect as a new user with full access to the whole folder tree of my web site rather than use pass through authentication (Not sure if this was necessary)

(2) Changed the Identity that the IngridClancy Application Pool users to the same new user with full access to the whole folder tree of my web site.

Here is more detail how I made these changes

(1) Not sure if this was necessary:

My web site was set up for pass through authentication. This resulted in an error in

IIS Manager / Web Site / Basic Settings / Test Settings

The Error was “Cannot verify access to path” 

To resolve this   I did the following

·         Created a new user called “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser” and

·         Made that user a member of the IIS_IUSRS group

·         Used the Windows 8 SecPol.msc (previously  Local Security Policy Editor or gpedit) and went to

o   Local Policies / User Rights Assignment / Log on as a Serive and added my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser”

o   Went to IIS Manager / Web Site / Basic Settings /Connect As/Specific User and Set it to my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser”

·         In Windows Explorer

o   Physical Path of my WebSite / Right Click / Properties / Security / Edit

o   Addded my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser” and granted it full access to the whole folder tree of my web site

This fixed that error

(2) But did not fix the original error at Step 3/5: Validating File Permissions "Your permission settings are not ready for umbraco!"  To fix that I did the following:

·         Having already created my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser” with log on as a service rights as described above and knowing that my web site used an Application Pool called “IngridClancy” I then did the following

·         IIS Manager / Application Pools / IngridClancy / Right Click / Advanced Settings/ Identity

·         Changed Identity from ApplicationPoolIdentity  to my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser”

o   Note that I had already (above) granted my new account “IIS_TC_AppPoolUser” full access to the whole folder tree of my web site

·         This then solved the original error at Step 3/5: Validating File Permissions "Your permission settings are not ready for umbraco!" 

Hope this helps others :-)

Terry Clancy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft