Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ed Kolis 18 posts 38 karma points
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 16:09
    Ed Kolis

Where does Umbraco store usernames and passwords?

I'm creating a web application based on Umbraco, and I'd like to make it available on Bitbucket, but I'm afraid of my login info for my app being shared with everyone when I push my changes. Where does Umbraco store the login info for users so I can exclude it but not exclude content? Or is it all stored in the same place, so I have to just use a generic admin login locally and only set up real logins when I deploy to an actual server?

Oct 23, 2012 @ 16:14
    Ed Kolis

FYI, I'm using SQL Server CE as the database backend. I tried to edit my post to say that, but I got an error on some sort of XML file on your forums... :(

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:07
    Mark Bennett

Ed,

I'm confused - what are you trying to do?

Are you trying to get users from bitbucket to automatically log into your Umbraco system or the other way round? Or am I getting the question completely wrong?

Mark..

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:24
    Ed Kolis

No, not at all - almost the opposite, in fact! I want to make sure that when I push my code to Bitbucket, that I don't also push my username and password to the remote repository, allowing anyone who downloads the code from Bitbucket to know my password. But I DO want to push any content I add to the CMS. Is there any way to do this?

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:33
    Mark Bennett

Ed,

Your user credentials and all of your content are stored in the database. Your code is stored on the file system and therefore completely seperate so I don't believe it will cause any issues when you upload it to bitbucket, unless of course you also upload the database.

Mark.

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:34
    Ed Kolis

OK, so none of the content is stored in the database, so I can safely ignore the database when uploading? Excellent! Just need to find that database now...

edit: oh, wait, you said the CODE is on the filesystem, but the CONTENT is in the database? Well, that will be a problem... :(

So I should just put in a dummy login like "admin/admin" and upload the database, then?

edit2: what about those XML cache files that get created when you publish? I heard that Umbraco uses those for content - do I really need the database too? Or would having the XML files out of sync with the database break things with no easy way to resync them when someone downloads the repository and rebuilds the database?

edit3: wait, is HTML considered code or content? I don't need to store user-generated content in the repository; I just want to have some HTML forms that can be used to ENTER user-generated content!

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:47
    Mark Bennett

Ed,

Your razor scripts / macros / any extra c# code you might want to do to build on top of the umbraco framework will all be on the file system. Templates / css  are also on the file system.

Content for the site and media for the site are stored in the DB as well as doc types and dictionary items etc.

What are you trying to actually do and have you used Umbraco before?

Mark.

Oct 24, 2012 @ 17:50
    Ed Kolis

I'm trying to build a web application allowing game modders to create a sort of wiki-like database of information about data items in game mods, useful for planning mods in the initial stages of my application, and later I'll add the ability to actually create templates for specific games' data formats.

I have used Umbraco before, but only briefly, and I've never installed it myself before - I've only developed against a preconfigured instance.

• Rusty Swayne 1655 posts 4993 karma points c-trib
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 19:07
    Rusty Swayne

Ed - you might consider having two versions of your database - one for your users to interact with and a second for developers to play with that you can distribute.

If you are using SQL CE you can swap these out fairly quickly by altering the connection string (currently in the web.config file).

Make a copy of the App_Data/Umbraco.sdf file and rename it to UmbracoDev.sdf or something.

and then toggle between the two by commenting out the respective connection strings.

<!--add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper,SQLCE4Umbraco;data source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf" / -->

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper,SQLCE4Umbraco;data source=|DataDirectory|\UmbracoDev.sdf" />

You can then exclude the Umbraco.sdf from your Bitbucket repository.

Oct 24, 2012 @ 20:20
    Ed Kolis

Thanks! That sounds helpful, though I guess since all the HTML templates and such are stored on the filesystem, it might not actually be necessary.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft