Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JCKödel 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 01, 2012 @ 20:07
    JCKödel

Partially online environment installation

I'm developing a Kiosk that will run on touch-enable TVs and Google Chrome.

This kiosk will display a lot of information, but, in the end, is all HTML/CSS/JavaScript, so, I'm wondering if Umbraco it is the perfect choice, because I will not need to write an admin portal to put content into my kiosk.

But there is a catch: each kioski may not have internet access, and many of our publishers will be off-site (so the CMS must be in a internet reachable location).

Today, we are doing this with MongoDB (the content in collections (tables) and the HTML/CSS/Javascript in GridFS). Works fine, but it is all built from ground.

I was wondering if this is possible with Umbraco:

1. Install Umbraco in a internet reachable server (let's say at GoDaddy)
    2. Install Umbraco in each kiosk (they run Windows 7 and have a pretty decent hardware), point to a local SQL Express instance (can be user-instance or a regular server, doesn't matter)
    3. Using the pub/sub SQL Server replication mechanism, sync this SQL Express instance with the server, when internet connection it is available
    The idea is to publish data to the server and then, using SQL Server replication mechanisms, sync this data with the kiosks. No data will be written on those machines (there will be no comments or publish, it is a read-only web site, maybe a bit of BI data, if possible).
    Maybe the contens of each kiski will be a bit different, but I assume this can be done with different users/roles or checking the url-referrer or something like that... it is not that important at the moment. For now, all I need is to publish into a Umbraco installation, replicate this content to n machines and be total local (connection to the main server is intermitent and will be used only for sync).
    This is possible with Umbraco? Someone had tryied this before?
    Thanx in advance.

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 10:57
    Mark Bennett

Everything you say sounds fine and should indeed work as you expect. If it was me i'd be setting up a test system to replicate what you intend to do and see how you get on. You will have a bit of a learning curve anyway to pick up the new framework.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft