Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Singleton 16 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 02, 2012 @ 12:52
    Matt Singleton

No db connection

Is it possible to publish an umbraco site that has no db connection? I.e. I have a publishing server that the contect gets published from to a server that does not have a db connection? that means I can then replicate that site (from the web server with no db coonnection) to other web servers?

If so, what settings do I need? Any info is greatly appreciated.

• Salman Ansari 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 07:21
    Salman Ansari

Hi,

You can not publish content without umbraco DB connection

because internally umbraco set flag value to table when content published.

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 11:06
    Mark Bennett

Hi Matt,

As Salman says you cannot publish a site that has no db connection. The umbraco system is reliant on the DB being there. You could however use software to create a flat file site and then publish that to your other nodes without content - something like this

I did something similar for a site a long time ago using Microsofts CMS and it worked, it does however bring along it's own problems when you do something like this.

Whats the problem with just using sql express on these other sites and publishing using Courier?

Mark.

• Matt Singleton 16 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 14:44
    Matt Singleton

The publishing server will have a db connection its just that I want to create a site and then simply ftp the site/changes to a remote server that has no db connection. Why? Ease of use, no db reads when serving content, ability to replicate the site easily with a file replication model etc

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 15:08
    Mark Bennett

Matt,

So as I say you can use a piece of software to spider the site and create a flat file system, there is nothing built into Umbraco to do this. The issues you will get is if you want to do anything clever that requires the DB to be available - searching for example. If you don't intend to do any dynamic gubbins on your replicated sites then it should all be good.

Mark..

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft