Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Rhodes 10 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 14:40
    Jason Rhodes

Installing on Windows Server 2008 R2 with MS SQL 2008 Standard

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Hi all,

I hope I'm not duplicating a question; I tried to search but could not find a solution to my problem so I'm posting it here. 

I am installing Umbraco 4.0.1 on my Windows Server however keep getting a database error that I cannot seem to resolve.  I followed the Vista install guide to get me 95% of the way there with R2 and SQL 2008 however when I go to my site to finish the install process by running the Umbraco web Install I get this error:  "Database connection initialization failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."  Now the database is there and the info I am inputting into the fields is correct as far as I can tell.  On the IIS 7 side, I do see an error pop up every time I run the web installer, the error ID is 5011 and refers to a .NET runtime error. Now I have updated the web.config file to the .NET 3.5 instance that I found on Umbraco's website so I can't see why I would get a runtime error within .NET unless there is something I'm missing or something else is going on.  I'm just stuck now!  =( 

I'm not sure what more info you might need however if anyone can help I will gladly provide anything you need. 

Thanks!

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 14:44
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi,

we need a few additional things to get to the problem I think.

Do you have SQL-server installed on the same machine? If so, is it installed as default instance or is it a named instance?

What is the servername you fill in in the wizard?

HTH,

Peter

Aug 18, 2009 @ 17:12
    Jason Rhodes

SQL Server is installed on the same machine and should be the default instance. 

the server name I filled in was (san quotes): ".\MSSQLSERVER"

Thanks,

Jason

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 18, 2009 @ 17:22
    Peter Dijksterhuis

If it is the default instance, try using "localhost" or "(LOCAL)" (san quotes as well)

The format you used is mostly for named instances.

HTH,

Peter

Aug 18, 2009 @ 17:31
    Jason Rhodes

Peter, you ROCK!  that was it!!  =) Ahh life can go on now.  Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft