Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• e 23 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 05, 2012 @ 21:05
    e

Umbraco 4.9.1: /base/FolderBrowserService/GetChildren/ returns http 500

I was receiving an endlessly spinning ajax icon in the media section after upgrading to umbraco 4.9.1:

I pulled up fiddler, and noticed that I was getting an HTTP 500 error:

If i browsed to that URL directly, it uncovered a null reference exception in the umbraco.presentation.umbracobase.restExtension constructor:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.presentation.umbracobase.restExtension..ctor(String extensionAlias, String methodName) +1475
       umbraco.presentation.umbracobase.requestModule.httpApp_PostAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2326
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +269

I ended up pulling down all the source, building the project in Visual Studio, and debugging my local website to track down the problem.  What I found was that TypeFinder.FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute() was returning null items in the list, and that the code wasn't handling the nulls.

I was able to get past this by adding a simple 'skip the nulls' check in the code:

But i worry that there is some bigger underlying issue.  I dug deeper and saw that when loading one of our custom DLLs, that umbraco.BusinessLogic.Utils.TypeFinder.FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute() was running into a problem loading some items from our DLL:

When it traps the exception and just returns ex.Types, there are items in the list that are null.  So, my long setup comes to a point:

1) How do i track down what in our DLL isn't being loaded

2) Should a null check like I added be something that is included in a future patch?

• David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    Nov 06, 2012 @ 13:49
    David Conlisk

I've had the same problem, so I've rolled back to v4.9 which fixed the problem, so it's definitely something to do with the 4.9.1 upgrade. Thank you source control!

• psiho 101 posts 96 karma points
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 16:01
    psiho

I'm getting the same problem with 4.11 install. I don't have experience with 4.10.1 but cannot believe this is here from version 4.9.1?

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Nov 29, 2012 @ 16:52
    Robert J. Bullock

I'm getting the same error on one website... Looks like a bug. But I have another site on 4.9.1 and not getting the error?

• Paul 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 29, 2012 @ 17:20
    Paul

Having same experience with a fresh 4.11 upgrade

• e 23 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 29, 2012 @ 19:30
    e

Based on what i saw, the issue was dependent on what other DLLs were in the bin folder of website, which could explain why you are seeing the error on one website but not the other, and why some people have the issue and others don't.

In the code forTypeFinder.FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute(), if an exception is thrown when trying to filter the assembly types by attribute, then the function simply returns everything in the types array, which included some nulls.  Then in the constructor for restExtension(string, string), it loops through the types and without checking for null tries to access t.GetCustomAttributes(), and this causes the error if 't' is null.

I found two ways to get around this:

By debugging and variable inspection, i was able to track down which of my DLLs was causing the exception, and it turned out that one of it's dependencies wasn't in my bin directory.  When i brought over all required DLLs, then the exception went away.

I think the long term fix would be for FindClassesMarkedWithAttribute() to not return empty items in the list, or for the callers (such as restExtension and macro.GetXsltExtensionsImpl) to check for null before using the items in the list. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft