Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Lindstrom 454 posts 271 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 09:34
    Daniel Lindstrom

Shared membership database between Umbraco sites

Hi

Does anyone have any experience sharing membership database between umbraco sites in different installations.

Scenario:

Several umbraco sites, each in different umbraco installations, but on same physical server. At this time only one of these sites have member funtions active. One Sql Server that has all the databases for these sites.

Primary goal:

The members can use the same login credentials on all these umbraco sites. The member data/properties should be shared among these sites. Single Sign On (SSO) is not necessary in this first step.

I am thinking this might not be to hard.

With umbraco being asp.net membership compliant, I should be able to point the membership funtionality of a umbraco site to another database seperate from the content database. So I could export the membership tables from the current database into a new database, and the point the membership provider for all the sites to this database?

What do you think? Anyone has any experience doing something like this?

Secondary goal:

I can imagine the need for Single Sign On (SSO) will arise in the future. Anything particular I should keep in mind, to be future-proof, when implementing a solution for the primary goal above?

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 09:47
    Thomas Höhler

I think you can implement your own Membership Provider which can be used from all the umbraco sites. But right now I don't know how to solve your second goal.

Thomas

Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:29
    Daniel Lindstrom

Hi Thomas!

Thanks for your reply.

If I cannot use the umbraco membership provider, I assume I could use the standard SQL membership provider that ships with ASP.NET:

Set up asp.net membership tables etc in a separate database, tell umbraco to use the SQL membership provider and piont that to the membership database?

Any thoughts?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:34
    Aaron Powell

You shouldn't have any problem using the ASP.NET SQL Membership provider, it takes a connection string name as a parameter so you can easily control where the members are coming from

Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:47
    Daniel Lindstrom

Thanks both of you! I'll try the SQL membership provider and see if it works out. Will report back.

Has anyone any experience using the standard SQL membership provider with umbraco. Even though membership and role providers should be seperate entities, some people have reported here on the forum that they needed to also replace the role provider if they did not use theumbraco membership provider. Is that the case?

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:47
    Thomas Höhler

agree, an own membership provider is only necessary if you want some extra stuff not supported by the ASP.NET SQL membership provider.

Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft