Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kent 9 posts 39 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:40
    Kent

No documentation for upgrading to V4 using Win 2003 Servers

My internal computer advisor is having doubts upgrading to V4 from V3 because we're using an older windows 2003 server. He is afraid that we might need to re-install the whole thing, if the two don't interact. The problem is that in all the documentation about Umbraco V4, there is nothing about 2003 servers. So I just want to check if there have been issues with the new version and server 2003?

Cheers,

Kent

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:54
    dandrayne

Hi there

I've personally noticed no issues either running or upgrading to version 4 on win2003 servers.  AFAIK Win2003 are still the most common servers out there, despite not being the latest version.  Just last week we test-updated a v3 site with over 6000 nodes, about 25 templates and 40-50 xslt files with no issues in about 30 mins.

The only problem I've noticed is if you rely on packages such as lefteris multiple node/media pickers.  Luckily I was able to swap the rendercontrol to the treemultipicker and all the previously stored values were carried across to the new pickers.

You shouldn't have any problems, but of course backup everything, upgrade locally and test thoroughly before doing this to the live site.

Dan

• Kent 9 posts 39 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:58
    Kent

That's good to hear Dan. Thanks a lot for the response.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:59
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Kent,

I'm running several v4+ installs on a win2003 server (latest is a v4021), no issues whatsoever. So, I'm pretty sure upgrade manual can be used on win2003 servers installs as well.

But, don't let Murhpy interfere and make sure you've got backups of your system.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft