Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arjan H. 226 posts 463 karma points c-trib
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 23:34
    Arjan H.

Can't login to admin, but no errors?

I've installed Umbraco version 4.0.2.1 on my portable hard drive at the office using the Vista installation guide. The SQL Server 2005 database files are also located on the portable disk. Everything worked fine then. I wanted to work on the Umbraco site at home, so I attached the Umbraco database files on the portable disk to SQL Server 2005 on my home PC and created the same login with the right database role memberships (I double-checked the user in SQL Server Management Studio, the user has access to the Umbraco database). I set all the right folder permissions and changed all the necessary settings (IIS and SQL Server) as mentioned in the Vista installation guide. The homepage of the Umbraco site works just fine, but for some reason I can't login to the admin section. The login form just keeps redirecting to itself:

http://localhost/umbraco/login.aspx?redir=%2fumbraco%2fumbraco.aspx

Strange thing is there are no errors being displayed whatsoever, even when I use the wrong credentials. The umbracoLog table doesn't show any problems, neither does the Windows event log. So I'm pretty clueless as to what could be causing this. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Umbraco version: 4.0.2.1
    ASP.NET version: v2.0
    Windows and IIS version: Vista Business SP2 / IIS 7.0.6000.16386
    Application pool: Classic .NET AppPool
    Stacktrace: n/a

Thanks!

Arjan

Aug 20, 2009 @ 00:25
    Arjan H.

I've tried using the UltiDev Cassini Web Server instead of Vista's IIS 7, but no luck. So the issue doesn't seem to be related to the web server. I've also tried to login using different browers (Firefox 3.5.2, Internet Explorer 8, Chrome 2.0), all with the same result... zip! :-(

Aug 20, 2009 @ 00:51
    Arjan H.

Woohoo... I was able to regain access to the Umbraco admin by using Chris Larson's backdoor login solution (THANKS CHRIS!). I'm still kinda confused though. Although this solutions suggests I was using the wrong password I'm still pretty sure I was using the right credentials trying to log in, since I always use the same password for development accounts. Are hashed passwords being handled differently on two separate machines?

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 20, 2009 @ 09:15
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Arjan

Great that you are logged in now. If a password is hashed differntly on different machines my clients won't like me anymore. So I think you made a typo. Passwords are case sensitive. So maybe that was the issue.

Cheers,

Richard

Aug 20, 2009 @ 15:47
    Arjan H.

Hey Richard,

Your probably right, since that's the only plausible cause. I'm going to check my saved passwords in Firefox when I get to the office again, because I'm still 99% sure I used the exact same password as I always do for development accounts. But in the mean time I'm just glad I got this fixed. If only Umbraco had shown me a 'login incorrect' message I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble to look for different solutions. :-)

Arjan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft