Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jim Prior 2 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 19, 2012 @ 21:58
    Jim Prior

PDF: Installing latest Umbraco and configure to use SQL Server 2008 R2

I have created this document in response to my own poor experience and problems trying to get Umbraco installed and configured with Microsoft WebMatrix (or MS Web Platform Installer) to use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, instead of SQL Server CE (Compact Edition), and the latest version of Umbraco.

This procedure uses a combination of WebMatrix and manual setup, which gets around some problems often encountered with the WebMatrix way of installing and Umbraco configuration. It assumes you have checked the Umbraco site for any pre-requisites, and that you have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed correctly, including SQL Server Management Studio which we will use to setup the SQL database and user.

Screenshots are provided at every step. This was performed on a Windows XP SP3 PC, with WebMatrix 2.0.

This method explains what to do with the Umbraco CMS Zip file downloaded from the Umbraco codeplex, so it also helps when the latest version of Umbraco is not yet available to WebMatrix or WebPI on the Microsoft repositories, or in the Umbraco XML release feed for WebPI:-
    http://umbraco.com/data/rss/UmbracoWebPIFeed.xml

http://www.jpgo.co.uk/Install-and-Configure-Umbraco-to-use-SQL-Server-2008-R2.pdf

Hope its of use to people.

Note: This is not an official Umbraco document, and I accept no liabilities for its use.

• Bruce Williams 11 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 00:11
    Bruce Williams

Jim,

Thanks for this. I also had a poor experience playing with Umbraco on Server 2008R2 and SQL Server.  I thought that it was not designed to go together and suspected that it was early days for such intergration. Great step by step.

Bruce

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft