Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 26, 2012 @ 22:26
    Mike

Installed v4.11.0 - Pages not found

Hi

I really hope someone can help me with these problems...

I've installed Umbraco 4.11.0 from a zip file, onto Windows 2008 Server, SQL Server 2008, IIS7 using these instructions:

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/master/Installation/install-umbraco-manually

The database user has dbOwner privs.

The install seems to run fine, however, when starting Umbraco I get all sorts of problems:

1) Immediately after installing if I choose "Preview your website" from the last page of the installer I get page not found errors.

2) If I launch Umbraco, and for example try to use ModifyTemplateSkin from Settings -> Templates -> StarterKit Master I get a webpage cannot be found error. It's trying to hit this url:

http://localhost/Umbraco/umbraco/canvas.aspx?redir=/Umbraco/&umbSkinning=true&umbSkinningConfigurator=true

canvas.aspx does exist at this location.

3) If I try to Publish any pages, and then try to preview them, I again get page not found errors, on this url:

http://localhost/Umbraco/umbraco/dialogs/preview.aspx?id=1051

I'm new to Umbraco, so might have done something daft, but I'm gone through the installation process a number of times and keep getting the same issue.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:05
    Richard Terris

Hi Mike

It's not clear from your post, but have you created at least 1 document type and 1 template?

Even if you were trying to use Starter Kit skinning without a documet type you would get a 404 error.

The document type is the container for the page(s), which contains the properties you want the user to be able to edit and the template is essentially what you inject the document type into; But like I said, without a document type even the starter kit skin would have no page to display.

You say canvas.aspx exists, but does this mean you simply have added a web form into the root of the project?

If you haven't created any document types, as a test I'd create a document type called sitesettings and allow it at root level, maybe add one or two properties such as pageTitle (but these aren't required for your test), then I'd create a node in the content tree using that document type and publish it anf give that a try.

Your starter kit skin should be able to handle it, and I'd simply expect a blank white page - if you look at the source you should have a basic html page rendered in the browser.

If you get this far then it's all working as expected and you just need to go and create the document types and templates.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:36
    Mike

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

I haven't done anything to the Starter Kit since installing it - does that not come with the required document types and templates pre-installed....sorry, I don't have access to the installation at the moment - I will need to check later.

I've installed Umbraco into a Virtual Directory under the Default Website, as per the instructions, could this be the issue - should it be a separate site?

Thanks

Mike

Nov 27, 2012 @ 12:47
    Richard Terris

Hi Mike

Yes the starter kit does include document types but I wasn't sure if you'd actually installed it.

Not sure about virtual directory, although I have seen other people have problems with that.

The way I normally install Umbraco is :

•  Create an empty web project in visual studio
    • *Copy the files and folders from build folder of umbraco and paste into the root of project folder, overwriting anything it asks to
    • *Create a website in IIS and point it to the project folder, and ensuring App pool is set as 4 integrated
    • *Add hostname to hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) and add that to the site in IIS
    • Navigate to http://sitename/ and follow the install
    You also need to make sure IIS_IUSRS and IUSR have full permissions to the project
    Give me a shout if you're having trouble still and I'll try to help
    Nov 27, 2012 @ 21:04
    Mike

Hi.

I've installed Umbraco into it's own IIS website and everything appears to be working.  Not sure what I did wrong the first time I tried this, but no matter, it's working now, so I'm a happy man.

Thanks for your help Richard, really appreciate it.

Cheers

Mike

Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:06
    Richard Terris

Mike

No problem - glad it worked.

Remember to mark the answer as solution, to help others 

Richard

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:15
    Stephen Davidson

Richards post with the 5 step points should be marked as the answer...this is exactly what i do for each install with the small addition of a BAT file which I got from Umbraco (somewhere) thats sets all my persmission for the relavent folders.

S

Nov 28, 2012 @ 10:16
    Richard Terris

I'd be interested to see that batch file Stephen - which users does it set permissions for? 

I always feel like I'm kinda doing a catch-all with IIS_IUSRS and IUSR - one step short of EVERYONE 

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Nov 28, 2012 @ 12:48
    Stephen Davidson

Hey Richard,

Network service which is all i ever use these days, have to say though that i rarely have to use this now...everything seems to just "work". Here is the bat file below, if placed in the root of umbraco site it will run just fine.

REM Following line in original script incorrectly sets all child folder permissions
    REM icacls . /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls app_code /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_browsers /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_data /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls bin /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls config /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls css /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls data /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls masterpages /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls media /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls python /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls scripts /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls umbraco /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls usercontrols /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls xslt /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls web.config /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls web.config /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":M
    REM If you have installed the Robots.txt editor package you need the following line too
    icacls robots.txt /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":M
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft