Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan Roug 97 posts 153 karma points
    Aug 21, 2009 @ 01:15
    Johan Roug

Import database to webhotel

hi I have a localhost with my Umbraco site. Also I have ms SQL server 2008 express installed on my local, with my umbraco database.

Now I want to move my site to the internet, so how do I copy my database to my webhotel? I use Surftown

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2009 @ 07:17
    Dirk De Grave

Just have to create a backup of your local umbraco db and restore it on the host's database server (if you have permissions to do so, which I would doubt). Other option is to script all objects and execute on remote db, then copy over all data (using import data for example)

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Aug 21, 2009 @ 13:44
    Johan Roug

yeah making a bak file is no option, as I cannot restore it on the webhotel database

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2009 @ 14:10
    Dirk De Grave

Do you have access to db using sql server mgmt studio? If so, perform a data import from the local to the remote db. If not, then you'll need to find a way to script all data and run the script on the remote db!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/dirk

Aug 30, 2009 @ 02:41
    Johan Roug

actually I cancelled my webhotel, because they really suck, when it comes to Umbraco. They have admited that. So I will be looking for another webhosting. Does anyone know a good webhotel for Umbraco ? I looked at www.unoeuro.com, which sounds as a good place

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Aug 30, 2009 @ 10:09
    Tommy Poulsen

I have sites running on low budget hosts like unoeuro and Surftown. unoeuro is really cheap, but running on mySql - if you choose unoeuro you probably have to ask their support department to grant you enough access right to make Umbraco run - I had to do that on both my unoeuro sites.

>Tommy

Aug 30, 2009 @ 10:10
    Tommy Poulsen

... and you can have access using SQL Server management studio on both hosts as far as I remember. Then you just need an ftp client (e.g. FileZIlla) to upload your files, and you are ready to go.

>Tommy

Aug 30, 2009 @ 18:21
    Johan Roug

I can have MS sql on unoeuro, but it will cost me 1,15 euro extra pr month. It was Surftown I tried to use with Umraco. I have used Surftown for many years, but either with plain HTML og PHP. Running Umbraco on tjeir servers, amde everything crash..

Aug 30, 2009 @ 18:23
    Johan Roug

.. sorry for the spelling mistakes. I at an none familar keyboard.. Wy can't I edit my posts ??

Aug 30, 2009 @ 19:33
    Tommy Poulsen

Ok, but Umbraco is able to run on Surftown "Advanced Windows" hotel (I have one running there: www.jensine.dk), and I have to sites running on unoeuro with MySql - I haven't tried their service with SQL Server.

>Tommy

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Aug 30, 2009 @ 22:23
    Simon Justesen

Tommy, I have a client that might want to stay at Surftown.. Does every common task work with Umbraco on Surftown or are there limitations of some kind?

Aug 30, 2009 @ 23:17
    Tommy Poulsen

I had to turn off xml caching, but a year ago I had a number of sessions with the Surftown support department about that, and they were really eager to work out why I had to do that. They made different changes to their setup, so maybe it is actually fixed now - I never got around to check it.

>Tommy

Sep 14, 2009 @ 13:55
    Johan Roug

no I'm affraid that isn't fixed yet. One of the reasons why I found another webhotel

• Duncan McCormack 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 15, 2009 @ 04:50
    Duncan McCormack

GoDaddy seems the obvious choice - but I don't know how they would handle transferring the DB, or if you can run a script to re-create the DB.

They support *heaps* of CMS's - including Umbraco.

Cheers.

Sep 15, 2009 @ 18:20
    Johan Roug

I stick with unoEuro.com they seem to be a good webhotel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft