Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Jensen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 07:45
    Thomas Jensen

upgrading from 4.7.2 to 4.11.1

HI,

What is best practice when upgrading the CMS? Is it possible to go direct from 4.7.2 (our current version) to 4.11.1? We only have the contour package, but havent used it yet.

/Thomas

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 09:17
    Drew

I've heard that a couple of people have upgraded fom 4.5.2 and 4.7 to 4.11 - although I haven't seen any blogs or articles on it.

I believe that you should incrementally apply each upgrade (rather than downloading 4.11.1 and trying to upgrade straight to that) - also, test the process out on a copy/clone of your site (even if its a dev site), just to be safe.

I've got a couple of 4.7.1 sites that I'm going to upgrade to the latest version at some point (but possibly not until the new year!), when I do, I'll document the process and post it.

Cheers,

Drew

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 13:38
    Matthias

Hi,

i did a direct upgrade from 4.7.1.1 to 4.11.1 on a very small site with no custom changes in the /config folder and uComponents 3 installed.

I had a look at all the update hints on Codeplex for all versions inbetween. So, this is what i ended up with:

Overwrite or add
    ------------------------
    /bin
    /install
    /umbraco
    /umbraco_client
    /config
    /App_Plugins
    /Views
    /global.asax

Delete
    ------------------------
    /bin/App_global.asax.dll

Merge
    ------------------------
    /web.config

Change
    ------------------------
    Change the version number in config/ClientDependency.config

Packages
    ------------------------
    Install current uComponents (5.2) package (didn't uninstall the old package first).

Worked without problems.

Matthias

• Thomas Jensen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 20:30
    Thomas Jensen

Thanks guys, I think I will try my luck with Matthias very nice directions for taking a short cut ;-)

• Proxicode 128 posts 324 karma points
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 23:55
    Proxicode

Thanks @Matthias! - With your notes and by following some good merge instructions found here - I was able to upgrade 4.7.2 to 4.11.1.

Wish I could vote you up, but I can't yet.

Thanks again!

-Roger

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft