Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joakim Fiskvik 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 13, 2012 @ 09:56
    Joakim Fiskvik

Wildcard domains and localization

Not quite sure if this is the "correct" place in the forum to post this question, but here goes....

We are (planning on) running a localized 1:1 Umbraco site, and I want to have the selected language as part of the url. E.g "mydomain.com/no" in order to get the norwegian version of a page, and "mydomain.com/en" for the english version. Now I can get this by specifying this with the actual hostname, but it would be a lot nicer if I could just add two "wildcard" hostnames to a single root-node, namely "*/no" and "*/en" (which would then hopefully work no matter what the actual hostname is). I had hoped that this would be possible with the "wildcard" domain functionality, but it isn't (as you can only have 1, and you can't add the "/no"-part.

I see in the Umbraco tracker that there are several issues related to hostnames and languages (and having multiple wildcard hostnames etc). Does anybody know if there any planned features in future releases that would allow me to have hostnames like I've described above? I guess my question is mostly directed to the Umbraco core team (or anyone that is involved with developing this part of Umbraco). I have browsed that Umbraco issue tracker looking for any hints, but I haven't found anything conclusive. Although going through the source I found some code related to people having specified hostnames like "/no" and "/en" only before (pre v.4.10?), although isn't possible anymore (I'm guessing people did this to achieve something similar to what I want to do).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft