Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Rogers 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 15, 2012 @ 22:15
    Kyle Rogers

Where to host umbraco?

Hello, i'm very new to umbraco and i have a very simple website that I have created with umbraco locally.  I'm running windows8, VS2012, and SQL CE.  Everything works great locally and I would like to push it to the cloud somehow?  I was hoping for Azure, but it really doesn't matter what site, just as long as it easy to develop locally and push remote frequently.  

I really haven't seen much recent documentation on this.  I downloaded the accelerator application, but it says its incompatible when I open it up in VS2012.  Not for sure what the easiest way to go about doing all this is, but any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you.

Kyle

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 16, 2012 @ 20:41
    Matthew

I'm not qualified to really address your questions but since this seems to be your first post and no one else has chimed in, I'll offer a few things I've learned or read about:

Where to host, my research lead me to a SoftSys reseller account and I have been very happy with the service and their support for more than 5 years.  To install Umbraco there, I've never been successful with the automatic installers though, so I upload the Umbraco zip and create the db, which works fine.  Softsys' support has always bailed me out quickly though, if I mess things up.

I've read that some packages won't work properly on SQL CE and the host you choose may not support it so I've adopted only using CE for local development and working out concepts, then just building/updating live sites from that work by hand.

Once a site is up, rather than developing locally and pushing that up, for minor stuff I work in the live site and keep good backups, and for more extensive things I work it out locally and copy/recreate it live.  That works ok for smaller sites but as I get more into it, I'll need to figure out how to do it right.  Contour 2 is on my wish list, which I think will take care of these issues.

If you noticed my other recent post in this same Getting Started section, because of the above, I've wanted to do local dev with SQL Express, so I could develop more complex sites locally and not have to recreate them on the live site, and I got as far as getting SQLE to work locally.  I'm hoping the WebMatrix tools will work out for deployment but if not, there's a lot of SQL migration info available.

I see you're running VS and my understanding is you have tools in there to handle some of these chores but maybe some of this translates.

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Dec 17, 2012 @ 13:31
    Stephen Davidson

I've used various hosts, including Fasthosts, Racksapce, 1&1 and MS windows Azure. As Mathew has described above the best/easiest (i think) is to upload the website as a zip file and the DB as a zip and setup via RDP. Having remote desktop access is essiential.

Azure is a little diffrent, website part is the same but the SQL setup is different, the following post pretty much walks you through it.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008/installing-umbraco-to-sql-azure

Hope this helps.

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft