Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 16, 2012 @ 01:09
    Matthew

Current recommendations for installing Umbraco w/SQL Express

I'd like to learn how to properly install Umbraco using a local SQL db for development, and then deploy that. I've read that if you dev w/CE, you're likely to run into problems when you deploy to the live host. It looks like the simplest path is going to be to use MS WebMatrix for the install/deploy but in past attempts, I have never been able to get a db/user setup successfully and it's been pretty frustrating. Is there a current doc on doing this?

Thanks much.

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 16, 2012 @ 06:18
    Matthew

I ran across these instruction in a post by Dirk:

-------------------------

• - Fire up your sql instance
    • - Create a new database (eg. umbraco45)
    • - Create a new sql login (under Security/Logins) (eg. umbraco45user as login name, use sql authentication, set password for this sql login - may uncheck the "Enforce password policy" and optionally set the "Default database" to umbraco45)
    • - Create a new database user (under umbraco45/Security/Users) (eg umbraco45user , map it to login name umbraco45user, and add role members db_datareader, db_datawriter and db_owner)

Change your web.config umbracoDbDSN settings to reflect your sql credentials .

<addkey="umbracoDbDSN"value="server=.\SQLExpress;database=umbraco45;user id=umbraco45user;password=yourpasswordforsqllogin"/>

-------------------------

which seemed to work fine for the local installation.  I'm using SQLExpress 2008 R2 and MSSQLSrvManagementStudio.

I seem to recall past attempts using more complicated instructions that failed.  Is this really sufficient?

Now to try doing a little mockup and a test deployment to my SoftSys hosting account.  Anything I should be looking out for?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft