Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alan Ellicott 45 posts 104 karma points
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 03:38
    Alan Ellicott

Back Office UI gone haywire

Have just transferred an existing fully functioning site to a new host.

All went amazingly well until I logged in as a user to edit some content.

To start with the normal Umbraco login dialog box displayed far left and when the GUI came up it was all over the place. No tree, no icons. Just the word content top left in large font and the normal icons that would appear at the bottom just appearing as square boxes vertically at bottom left. Nothing else anywhere else on the page.

Clearly a CSS issue but why because it is a new hosting.

Happy New Year to anyone who may be able to suggest a solution.

Oh Yes, I have other sites on this hosting that work absolutely fine.

Regards

Alan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 13:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alan

Usually this is related to permissions not being set properly.

I suggest you double check that permissions have been set correctly if you have access to do so yourself or ask the hosting provider for help on this issue.

When the backoffice is loaded do you then get any errors in the browser console?

However if it's a newer version of Umbraco like 4.9+ then you could also try to see if it helps to increment the version number in /config/ClientDependency.config.

Hope this helps and a happy new year to you too :)

/Jan

Jan 01, 2013 @ 17:11
    Alan Ellicott

Jan,

Thanks for your reply. It may well be a permission problem and there is no visible error in the browser console but when I interrogate the source with Firebug I can see that there are error messages which indicate that urls are not accessible. I have substituted the proper domain name with mydomainname in the extract below.

<head>

<title>Access to the path 'd:\domains\mydomainname\wwwroot\App_Data\TEMP\ClientDependency\PWEB2-08188b567933c4953318dd059518ba84-map.xml' is denied.</title>

<style>

body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;}

p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} 

etc. etc.

Having just moved the hosting but not changed the nameserver yet ( until I had done more content work  - which I can't !), I am operating on a temporary URL supplied by the hosting provider. So I run the site as www.mydomainname.temp-www5.com (where myhostname is the real domain name) and all works fine but it appears that the backoffice html is having difficulties.

I will have a look to see if parts of the tree are not accessible.

Many thanks for your comment. Isn't the answer always something to do with permissions :-)

Regards

Alan 

Jan 01, 2013 @ 17:21
    Alan Ellicott

Jan,

Just one further comment as you did ask about version number. It is 4.6.1.

I would love it to be 4.11 as I would prefer to use Razor but having spent days trying to use the new (post 4.5 ) XML schema without success I have delayed upgrade. This is the subject of another post really but having converted the xslt files and changed the UseLegacyXmlSchema> from true to false, I just get gibberish on the home page (pure html source). Until I fix that, I cant move forward.

Alan 

Jan 01, 2013 @ 19:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alan

What happens if you delete the content in the TEMP folder? Does that help?

You can use Razor in 4.6.1 using macro scripts - in 4.11 it's possible to use Razor using macro scripts or using the MVC view engine. (Yes that's a bit confusing at the moment but I think and hope that at some point there will be ONE Razor implementation to rule them all :)).

What kind of issues are you having using the new XML schema? Is it in relation to Razor or?

/Jan

Jan 01, 2013 @ 20:54
    Alan Ellicott

Jan,

I have deleted the contents of the TEMP folder within APPDATA and restarted the site and gone into the back office and nothing has changed at all.

I checked the file permissions of all directories and they all seem to be 777 - especially Appdata and its sub directories.

This is going to be one of those silly ones I hope. The whole directory tree for the domain is identical on my local machine and the web.config points to the same databases on the new server. Throiugh web matrix I can access the back office at local level and make all the changes I need. Through the temporary URL that the hosting company have given me, I can run the front end but the back office has the same issues. I have uploaded a graphic to show you.

For the moment i am therefore modifying the content from my local machine (which is connected to the same database) and then refreshing the front end by uploading it again to the hosting.

Regarding the XML problem, I assumed that somewhere along the upgrade path the old xml schema is not allowed so my first task was to convert the 10 xslt files to the later schema (using online tools) and  then changing the settings for LegacyXSLT. Every single change has been to delete the 'data[@alias='xxxxx'] and replace with 'xxxxx' so it is not rocket science. But whilst the individual pages are accessible by direct url, the home page does not show the menu below the banner and instead shows a lot of literal html markup. I will sort this another day unlkess there is an obvious solution but in the meantime I am more concerned that my client cant alter their content on the new hosting.

Regards

Alan

Jan 01, 2013 @ 21:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alan

Ok, perhap you should try contacting support perhaps? Don't know if you have access to change the app pool being used?

Regarding the XML stuff you should be able to simply change the schema to the legacy schema, which would have saved you the time of converting the files. But I recommend the new schema, sine it actually makes more sense to work with so I don't think the hassle you've gone through is wasted :)

/Jan

Jan 02, 2013 @ 17:21
    Alan Ellicott

Jan,

Problem solved. It was permissions but evidently whilst I "thought" I was giving everything 777, I wasn't, so the hosting support had to do it for me. One day I will afford dedicated hosting!!!

Kind regards

Alan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft