Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Walker 66 posts 87 karma points
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 15:23
    Kevin Walker

Umbraco is very slow using a remote database - HELP!

I've had the same problem with Umbraco for a while now. I can develop a site locally (database and umbraco installation ) and its great, works very fast and I can develop in no time. However if I then put the database on a remote server and connect locally the pace slows down massively, both front and back end. I also tried putting the website onto some shared hosting and the database on their database server, same result, really slow front and back end? I know a few people have had issues with this but is there any definitive reason for this, it is driving me insane! I think my code is ok as it runs perfectly locally and the key thing is the difference in speed between the back ends. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Jan 07, 2013 @ 15:13
    Mark Bennett

Kevin,

Is the website running on the same machine as the database? Do you run any other .Net sites that connect to the same DB - and if so do they have the same issues? 

There could be loads of reasons why there are issues - shared service isn't very good - connection between DB and front end is poor. What is your connection like onto the internet? Do other people experience the same issue as you? Do static pages on the remote server have the same issues?

Sorry for so many questions but things tend to run well when you are on a LAN compared to when you are running then over the internet.

Mark.

• Kevin Walker 66 posts 87 karma points
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 10:19
    Kevin Walker

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I have now opted to use a Virtual server with the hosting company and the site runs very fast. The problem always arose when the website was connecting to the shared hosting DB either on their own servers or myself connecting from home. The website itself was fine when making no DB calls due to the cached XML, it was always the back office that was horribly slow. The hosting thought it could also be the network file storage and also their is no fine grain control over permissions. I have since been researching a few other options for future useand I found www.carbonsoft.co.uk to be amazing speed wise for Umbraco installations. I personally opted for a VDS though for the client due to the backups etc and the access via RDP to administer. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had so many headaches with speed for the back office so I hope this helps out sime other people.

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 01:16
    Mark Bennett

Kevin,

Good stuff glad you got it sorted ;)

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft